Yes, I am going there again!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrewsbury

Reaction score
WEEDS!!!!

I hate weeds, weeds hate me.

I spend way too much time trying to mange weeds in the vineyard. It is a losing battle, and I am losing really bad.
I am too chicken to spray roundup after I get green on the vines. I am surrounded by huge farms and the wind seems to always be blwoing in the vineyard.
I would like to use something like roundup 365 real early in the year. it's active ingredients are; 1% Glyphosate, .08% Imazapic, .04% Diquat

It looks like I should not use it around the root zone. with grape vines the root zone it huge.
Can i use it or a similar product?

with 8 foot spacings can I use it within 1 or 2 feet of the vine or atleast a foot on either side of my post making it roughly 3 feet from the vine?

most pre-emergence herbicides recommend the vineyard being at least 3 years old, I will be in year 3 next year for 4 rows, but that is less than half the vineyard.

any suggestions for cutting down on weed control?

one way is to fashion a hood or up side down funnel on the spray wand. this will keep the spay from flying around. with this method you can spray right up to the trunk. I also sprayed when vines were dormant in spring and then once during the season once weeds were up to about 5-6 inches. one spray in fall will take care of over wintering weeds.

I have an applicator that wipes on the chemical. It's a red affair that looks kind of like an over sized golf club with a wool mop on the bottom edge. Fill the tube handle and it seeps out the bottom. The wool got eaten by pack rats last winter. I'm going to have to find a replacement .

Found it. "Smuker weed wiper", Google it.

Last edited:
When I need to spray but have contact fears, I use a cotton mop...Works great...

I also use gramoxone...It's got a bad rap from mis use, and application methods, but I mop mine on and it's relatively safe in this manner..

Early spring before greening, use gramoxone with princep and surflan... It'll buy some time for sure... And it's relatively safe...I follow the MAP 44 & MP 144 guides

Great advice.
I think that weed wiper looks like a great idea. I am a bit worried on how long the material will last, but at that price, and the time it will save me, if it lasted a season, that would be great. Would be nice for the raised garden beds as well. It is going on my list for next years orders.

I think I will try the funnel approach with the last of my spray. I have a few ideas on what I could use. I will just duct tape it to my sprayer wand.

Anyone have any answers or knowledge about using the roundup 365 or extended control around the vines or posts?

You can use Caseron as well. Just don't over do it. Of course a roto tiller also works nicely.

I would not use roundup 365 in any crop area grapes included. It is labeled for and intended to be used on driveways and hardscapes and other non-crop land. Generally, long residual herbicide formulations are for such areas and not intended for crop use.

Is this the same for the extended control version?

So it seems the best bet is regular roundup until the whole vineyard is established enough to use a pre-emergent then use both, but it will be less round up used at that time.

Gramoxone, is safer around the plants, and adding Surflan and princep will get you a much much better result on residual preemergeant activity. I prefer applying the preemergeant in my own mixture.... For instance, I use half rates on newly planted crops ECT.

Glyphosphate is good stuff but very dangerous if misused. It has the potential to cause long term damage you may not see.
Don't get me wrong I use it when needed... But I'm very careful and watch wind, breezes, temperature inversions ECT.

Gramoxone can be dangerous for the applicator, follow all PPE requirements... I typically mop it on.. Regular cotton mop and a bucket... but i will spray it occasionally, especially in early spring before my crop greens up.

I have a tractor mounted mop with a internal spray tip to keep the mop wet, design in mind. I don't care for the wipers I have found. I need to hit 24" along my plants from a tractor...But I have too many projects going now I need to finish...

Latest posts

Back