Cab/Zin/Petit Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about blends for this years crush and wanted some feedback on what I am thinking... I would like to do 22 cases of Lodi Cab with 9 cases of Zin and 9 cases petit Syrah. Basically a 55/22.5/22.5 split.

Is this overpowering? Has anyone done similar blends?

Thanks!

Agree with Sal. I think your blend would be good, but you're certainly making enough to ferment/age separately, then blend. You may come up w/ a few that you like, and some single varietal bottling as well.

Like others say if you have the space and desire to do post ferment blend trials it is the best way go, however I don't have the space nor desire, yet, to blend post ferment. Plus my first attempt at field blend last year 3 lugs cab, 2 lugs merlot, 1 lug carignane came out pretty darn good.

This year I've done a similar blend to yours Zin/Cab/Petite Sirah 50/25/25 and at 18 days out it already tastes fantastic. I have a field blend of 2 sangiovese and 1 syrah buckets plus zin skins that is 18 days old as well, while tasting not bad early it's not nearly as good as the zin/cab/ps is.

good luck.

Gentile is your blend 50 Zin/25 Cab/25 Petit Sirah?

Maybe i'll consider upping the Zin instead of the Cab!

I think that would make a better blend. But that's just one man's opinion. FWIW, I'm going to start the 2016 blending trials at roughly 45/25/20/10 - that's Zin/Cab/Petite Sirah/Syrah. Close to "The Prisoner" from several years back.

Gentile is your blend 50 Zin/25 Cab/25 Petit Sirah?

Maybe i'll consider upping the Zin instead of the Cab!

Yes it is, I had a commercial blend that was 50 zin 25 cab 25 ps a number of weeks back that I liked very much and decided that would be my blend this year.

So getting the grapes on Friday. My grape supplier also recommended a Petite Sirah/Merlot blend. Anyone done that?

Still think I will go with the 50% old vine Zin /25% Cab/25% Petit Sirah however. Just a little concerned that it will be overpowering!???

I've done a petite sirah on it's own two years ago, can't remember if I've had ps/merlot commercial blend. But sounds good.

By the way my zin/cab/ps is going nicely through MLF right now. It's 25 days old now, tasted it at 18 days when I checked MLF progress and I have a feeling this is going to top all my other wines. But only time will really tell.

Good luck.

So getting the grapes on Friday. My grape supplier also recommended a Petite Sirah/Merlot blend. Anyone done that?

Still think I will go with the 50% old vine Zin /25% Cab/25% Petit Sirah however. Just a little concerned that it will be overpowering!???

I did 88% merlot 12% ps in 2012. Best of show at the county fair. More ps overpowered the merlot.

I don't want it too inky. My final thoughts are leaning towards 20 cases Zin, 12 Cab, 4 Merlot, 4 Petite Sirah!!!!

Latest posts

Back