Storing Chemicals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
Im wondering how you guys store chemicals that come in a plastic baggie that you have to cut open.

I just ordered go ferm, fermaid k, acti malo, opti malo.
I have more than enough of them all for my upcoming batches of wine. They all came in plastic baggies that you have to cut open. I was kinda surprised because i figured they would come in some sort of a screw top container that you can store away. My plan is to just close the baggie as best i can and then but each bag into another quart sized ziplock bag...

Just wanted to see how others do it...

Im wondering how you guys store chemicals that come in a plastic baggie that you have to cut open.

I just ordered go ferm, fermaid k, acti malo, opti malo.
I have more than enough of them all for my upcoming batches of wine. They all came in plastic baggies that you have to cut open. I was kinda surprised because i figured they would come in some sort of a screw top container that you can store away. My plan is to just close the baggie as best i can and then but each bag into another quart sized ziplock bag...

Just wanted to see how others do it...

Some of those you mention do come in screw top models, but this is what I do when they don't. Peel the label off of the bag it came in, stick it to an appropriate sized ziploc, put the chems in and zip it up. They're all in the wine room at 55F.

Mine have all come in ziploc or jars. Basement runs about 60-65F all year round. Yeast goes in the refrig.

Not fair! In Georgia basement would go over 80 if I let it. Its 74 in here now. Had to build a climate controlled cellar.

You can come to south Louisiana if you like, a basement here is 90F and fills with water, maybe even the stray moccasin or gator...... bad. Above ground refrigerated cellar......good!

I repac those plastic bags into pint size Mason jars, with plastic " Kerry" screw on lids. Transfer label to face of jar. All lined up on a shelf they look impressive. Sorbate & yeast stay in the frig. Roy

I put them in a ziploc bag. The ones with a slider. I think they are one of the freezer version. No need to move the label since you can easily read it through the ziploc bag.

FYI: I found 1/2 pound jars of go-ferm for $10 plus shipping.

Not fair! In Georgia basement would go over 80 if I let it. Its 74 in here now. Had to build a climate controlled cellar.

Even if all in ground? Here in PA and back in CT, where I recently moved from, I think you get a fairly constant 55F ground temperature below the frost line (3-4 foot). My basement here in PA is almost entirely underground which I believe would explain the fairly constant temps I get throughout the entire year. Back in CT a lot of my basement wall was not underground and the seasonal temperatures fluctuated a lot more - think I remember something like ~60 winter to as high as ~75 in the summer.

My cellar in TN is say 65F in summer and down to 55F most of the winter. Typical built into a pile of dirt basement with sloping along the sides and exposed rear.

Cheers!
Johann

I have a food-saver vacuum sealer. I put the opened bags in ziplocks and then in vacuum seal bags. I keep them all in the basement with the rest of my wine making supplies.

Latest posts

Back