The great white wine competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to but shipping from here is a pain. Has to be done from a wine store and labeled. Nearest place is 130 miles away !!

Many of us ship "steak marinade" all the time via UPS or FedEx without any problems or issues whatsoever......

I'd like to but shipping from here is a pain. Has to be done from a wine store and labeled. Nearest place is 130 miles away !!

But........

The problem with that is should a bottle break/leak for any reason they are gonna look up what the contents are and fragile art glass is not a liquid so that puts your package up for immediate opening. If it leaks they want to know what that liquid is so they can quickly make a decision on whether or not they need a hazmat team to come in and handle the package. If it says steak marinade or something similar they will not go into panic mode at least.

I ship "Fragile Art Glass".

Not so much of a lie.. It is glass and it is most definitely an art form.... :)

Okay marinates, the only question left is how many marinates are in, we have plenty of time, let's get this forum on the move the Big red contest was a success pulling contestants from across the country and with the country marinates added it should be even bigger and better, Who else is in? So far 26replies,90 %are in are you?

Last edited:
But........

The problem with that is should a bottle break/leak for any reason they are gonna look up what the contents are and fragile art glass is not a liquid so that puts your package up for immediate opening. If it leaks they want to know what that liquid is so they can quickly make a decision on whether or not they need a hazmat team to come in and handle the package. If it says steak marinade or something similar they will not go into panic mode at least.

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Do we get an actual medal or plaque?

attachment.php

Medals last time.

Great white and country wines contest

Okay keep this thread in your sights the official rules will becoming out very soon, once again for those who are considering entering please post your names here so we can start getting a count, this should be fun...........:HB..........

Official Announcement and rules...

Folks,

Two years ago, we had the pleasure to host the Big and Bold red wine competition. This event was a great success and all of the judges were overjoyed at the quality of entries!

So, as promised, we are now going to host a White / Country / Fruit wine competition.

This competition is open to, and will award medals for, any White / Country / Fruit wine scoring enough points on the UC Davis scale. Awarded medals will be mailed back to the participants along with the original scoring sheets.

Only medal winners will be announced publicly.

The date for the competition is Saturday, 11/19/2016. You can send your entries as soon as you want and they will be properly cellared (to give the wine a chance to get over "bottle shock"). I would ask that you let me know and expected delivery dates.

Here is the list of rules.....

1) Contest is open to ANY White, Fruit, or Country style wine.

2) Contest is open to all winemaking methods (wines made from kits, pail juice, or fresh fruit, Etc) and will be judged together (no separate categories based on how the wine was made).

3) UC Davis scoring method will be used. The following link is the scoring sheet that will be used.

http://www.musingsonthevine.com/MusingsUCDavisForm.pdf

4) Medals will be awarded and mailed out to the entrants based on the following point scale.

18-20 Gold
15-17 Silver
12-14 Bronze

Note: Awards will be made based on a wine's own merits. As a result, there can be multiple gold, silver, and bronze medals awarded in any given category.

5) The exact categories within the competition will depend on the number of entries received. If we receive, say, 3 entries of Chardonnay, then we will have Chardonnay as its own varietal category. A category of "Other" will be used otherwise.

6) Entries need to be only 1 750 ml bottle.

7) For each entry, please have each bottle clearly marked with the fruit / grape varietal used, fruit proportions, or style of wine, vintage year, and winemaking talk.com name.

8) Also, for each entry, please specify if the wine is dry, semi-sweet, or sweet. The plan is to have 3 judging rounds, one for each level of sweetness.

9) Judges will not compete.

10) We are now currently accepting entries. Entries will be properly cellared until the date of judging.

If interested, please let me know by responding to this post and I will PM you the address information.
Entries need to be delivered and received no later than 11/18/2016.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back