Storing red wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prosseco

Junior
Reaction score
HI,

I need to store a red wine made from grape juice for a year or more.
I was going to bottle it in plastic 1G jugs. I read that if you store red wine more then 6 months you need to add some chemicals to prevent it going bad, what is this chemical.

Potassium Metabisulfite (aka kmeta). 1/4 tsp at the end of fermentation and then 1/4 every 3-4 months for a 6 gallon container. You can do the math.

Hope you have good plastic.

You should purchase glass gal jugs to store it. Plastic is too permeable. And it's k-meta is the preservative is what you add to your wine after its done fermenting kmeta is abreveation for potassium metabisulphite - Camden tab per gal and if you get the Camden tabs make sure they are potassium metabisulphite and not the sodium meta:ib

Good advice for you here, Prosseco. Definitely do not store it in plastic jugs. Also, I suggest a cork stopper inserted in the jug and the plastic screw cap in place. If possible, store the jugs on their sides rather than upright.

Assuming you are sure it's completed fermentation, I would do glass and a new screw on top. Leave some room for fluid expansion due to temp change, but store it in a cool, dark place that doesn't see a swing in temps, preferably below 70, but not above 80.

Back