Corrados

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better to have won ,placed or show than nothing for your time and entry fee, no matter what the cost ,don't you think? Nice job my fine vino friend.

Last edited:
only got 3 bronzes and 1 gold. i have not seen a=beating like this since the last tyson fight!

still it was a great time!

I am sure the results were disappointing, and it appears that you have a good attitude about it, but consider that I would give my eye teeth to produce the wines you produce! :try

I didn't do much better John, 3 bronze, 1 silver, and 1 gold. And the gold was for my Mead! My wife got 2 silvers and a gold.
What happened to the Best of Show awards for reds and whites? My wife had a gold for her chardonnay and thought she had a good chance getting the best of show for whites, there wasn't too many gold medals for the whites. Did they forget or are they getting cheap?
Plus the vendor area is getting smaller and smaller each year. And this year they really rushed us with the food, the whole thing (except the dancing) was over by 9:30.

I am sure the results were disappointing, and it appears that you have a good attitude about it, but consider that I would give my eye teeth to produce the wines you produce! :try

I'd give my eye teeth and my molars.
I'd give one of the kids but my wife might not like that too much.

Shucks guys, you are making me blush! Thanks so much for the kind words..

I was very surprised that some of my entries did not place at all, and very surprised at what did win medals and what did not. I entered a 2013 Riesling that (IMHO) is everything that a dry Riesling should be and one of the two best wines I entered. It made it to the finals, but did not medal. I found that very surprising.

Well, the important thing is that I like it. Given that judging wine is subjective, I wonder how the Riesling would do in other competitions. Perhaps I will enter another contest and find out.

Last edited:
I didn't do much better John, 3 bronze, 1 silver, and 1 gold. And the gold was for my Mead! My wife got 2 silvers and a gold.
What happened to the Best of Show awards for reds and whites? My wife had a gold for her chardonnay and thought she had a good chance getting the best of show for whites, there wasn't too many gold medals for the whites. Did they forget or are they getting cheap?
Plus the vendor area is getting smaller and smaller each year. And this year they really rushed us with the food, the whole thing (except the dancing) was over by 9:30.

I was wondering about the best in show myself. Not sure why they did not have it this year. I won the winemaker of the year award a number of years back and have been told that I was no longer eligible for that, so I was trying for best in show.

I noticed a number of things. First, the lack of vendors was surprising. To be honest, I did not see any, but my wife said that they were all huddled into a side room. The last one we went to (4 or 5 years ago) was jam-packed with vendors.

I was also surprised by how few finalists there were. The list was less than two pages long. Most years, the list is 3 or 4 pages long. Not sure if this was due to a smaller number of entries this year?

The all over quality of the food was great! I especially liked the clams oreganato and the fried calamari. They did seem to pull the buffet early. I went for some food around 8:30 and all they had was desserts. Really wanted to try the raw oysters.

At first, the wine bars were serving the finalist wines. Around 7pm, they ran out of the finalists and started pouring the "non-finalist" wines. The finalists were awesome, but the three non-finalists I tried were just plain awful. Luckily, the open bar opened at 8pm. Switched to brandy at that point. Hiring a limo was a very smart thing to do.

All critique aside, there were 14 in our group. We ate, we drank, we danced and we smoked (outside courtyard) hand rolled cigars with our brandy. It really was a good time even though a bit disappointing for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Was it very crowded? The one we went to a number of year's ago was in a country club and the food was outstanding and overflowing. It was very very well attended. There were pages and pages of winners from every category. The finalist wines they served were not as good as we expected. The run of the mill were hard to drink. We (four cousins each entering their wines) didn't send in any bottles this year or buy tickets.

I am glad others felt the same way as my group of 13.

The food was great and was happy they opened the doors to the event early this year. They put the food away early this year, not sure what the rush was also there were about 1/2 the venders that there were a few years ago.

The judging was off this year. Two of my best Reds made the finals but no medals. Shocked. It also looked like they only gave out 1/2 the medals that they gave out last year. Maybe all the judges didn't get there last weekend in the snow.

glad i checked the results. turns out i won gold for my cab franc instead of the touriga. makes me feel slightly better since cab franc is readily available and not so much a rare find as touriga grapes. i have a number of bottles left and i now i am itching to open a bottle to see just what the judges were getting at. the funny thing is that i viewed this wine as a verry common attempt and have passed it up without a second thought.

i guess it is right, gold is where you find it....

i honestly do not know why i feel better about this, but i do.

Corrado's deadline for entries is tomorrow and the contest is on the 21st. Anyone going this year ? I entered 10 wines, fingers crossed

Best of luck Franki! I am bringing down my entries tomorrow. Corrados called me today since I haven't brought my wines down yet and told me the deadline has been extended to Wednesday. I have 13 entries in wine, distilled spirits, and labels.

Thanks John,do you want to do A Big Red Contest In The fall,How about you wine maker's out there The big Red's were a win,win and after this last contest shows the extent of the craftsmen ship on this forum.Just think about it plenty of time,yours Jp

Thanks John,do you want to do A Big Red Contest In The fall,How about you wine maker's out there The big Red's were a win,win and after this last contest shows the extent of the craftsmen ship on this forum.Just think about it plenty of time,yours Jp

Sound good. It will have to be in November again since fall is "busy time" at the winery.

Latest posts

Back