Brut Fermenter (spigot)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorey

Reaction score
I use 44 gallon & 20 gallon Rubbermaid Brute garbage cans as my fermenters. At the bottom is a 3/4" bulkhead fitting and pvc pipe to serve as my spigot.

Last year I put cheese cloth around the 3/4" pvc that's on the inside of the can to prevent the spigot from clogging. However, that didn't work and the cheese cloth became plugged w/ grape skins and seeds.

I was thinking about putting a whiffle ball around the pvc. This should allow the wine to pass through while keeping the skins out? Or maybe I don't use any sort of filter at all and just hope that the 3/4" opening is large enough not to get clogged. Any thoughts or any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

How far from the bottom of the fermenter do you have the hole drilled? I have two 20's and a 30 gallon Brute and have never had a problem. Of course, I am not making wine from grapes and if I do a kit, I put the skins in a bag. However, that being noted, when I used to make wine from grapes I did not have a problem as I had the hole for the spigot drilled about 2" from the bottom and before I racked wine from the fermenter, I scooped out as much of the floating skins as I could with a large strainer. Most of the skins should be floating and you should be able to scoop them out.

I use Brute fermenters occasionally when my main tank is full. One day before throwing out a cartridge filter I decided to cut the ends off to see how it was made. I found this plastic cage in the middle which works well as a strainer, something about the shape of the holes reduces plugging. I do complete drain and returns during red primary fermentation skins and all and have not had any problems.

Strainer.jpg

Perfect ! That's what I'm after! Thank you all for the input!

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

Latest posts

Back