Sanitizing solution confusion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock

Winemaker Apprentice
Reaction score
I am preparing to make 1 gallon of a sanitizer to use to sanitize my equipment prior to each use, and have some confusion on 2 different methods.

First - Metabisulphite - says to use 12.5 tsp per gallon of water.

Sounds like, what is confusing about that.

Second - potassium bisulfite - says to use 1 tsp per gallon of water.

Why is 1 using so much more chemical than the other and both say they are excellent sanitizers for equipment.

Please help me understand if at all possible.

WELCOME !

Potassium Metabisulfite is the most common. Use 3 tablespoons for 1 gallon.
After using, store it in a small carboy, bucket or gallon jug. I will last for months.
Use and return it back. Suggestion is to add some to a spray bottle and then you can spray what you want sanitized. Simple and handy way.
Hope this helps....

Follow up

I have a container of Potassium Bisulfite and no potassium metabisulphite. Since it seems your saying to use less of the metabisulphite than what the instructions say, which makes sense to not have to rinse after spraying.

Do you know at all why is there such a variance dilutions of both compounds. Since I currently only have bisulfite would it hurt my wine or anything to increase the amount of chemical used, to make sure I have a proper and strong enough sanitizer.

Thanks

difference I have found

I have know found and calculated the chemical compounds. Potassium Metabilsulphite when added to water becomes potassium bisulfite, therefore the potassium bisulphite is actually via chemical strength is the more pure form and is stronger ie takes less to produce same result as Metabisulphite.

To keep things simple in future since everyone seems to use metabisulphite I am gonna stick with it.

Thanks for help

You have hit the nail on the head and I never noticed this thread. Also, some manufacturers make different strengths of a chemical compared to other manufacturers increasing this confusion. Just make sure when sanitizing to use the correct strength cause there is equipment sanitizing and then there is the ratio used for adding to wine.

Metabisulfite (both sodium and potassium, although usually potassium) have three uses in winemaking. All are different dosage. I have NEVER seen a k-meta label that explains the three dosages. I seem to recall one that showed two in French, but only one in English.

Uses...

1) Sanitation - 50g per 4 litres

2) pre-fermentation shock - not sure of dosage

3) post-fermentation preservative - 1/4 tsp per 23 litres (6 US gallons) - or measure free SO2 and adjust as required

All subject to personal preference.

Steve

Im pretty sure the ratio for #2 is the same as #3 and thats why they dont include it. Thats why you add 1 tablet per gallon in the beginning or at the end of fermentation with campden.

Be careful not to inhale the fumes (at the sanitizer level there seems to be a large amount of fumes). It burns! I think the reaction when you breath it is making sulfuric acid in your lungs if my high school chemistry is right. Tiny but still not good for you.

More questions...

I'm struggling with this issue myself.
I found a supplier offering Potassium Metabisulfite in a strength that require 1 tbsp per gallon for sanitizing, and 1/8 tsp per gallon as a must additive.
Campden tablets are Potassium Metabisulfite, also. I notice ALL instructions say to crush up the tablets before dissolving.
Question is: why would Campden tablets be used in preference to the powder? Convenience? Safety in handling (re: comment above about inhaling dust)?

I dont use Campden, I use powder and mix it. Who want to spend time crushing up tablets? not me

Question is: why would Campden tablets be used in preference to the powder? Convenience? Safety in handling (re: comment above about inhaling dust)?

I use K-meta powder rather than campden tablets. When I ran a store, old-time winemakers who were used to campden tablets preferred the tablets (I think some didn't believe me that it was actually K-meta). Other folks used campden because a lot of the old recipe books specify it.

And i think that crushing campden is more likely to result in dust than using the already powdered stuff.

Steve

CP, I use K Meta powder. Because of my suggestion, my LHBS is now carrying this in bulk, instead of the small 2 oz. packs which can get to be spendy while using it to sanitize eguipment etc.

Of course they keep this in a bucket with a lil scoop. Now I am concerned that some people may be exposed to this dust while scooping what they want to purchase.

I am wondering if they should put some sort of a disclaimer on this bucket. Providing masks may seem a lil overkill. I am wondering if I shouldn't suggest they weigh it out themselves into ziploc bags and sell their amounts already in the bag.

This isn't something I considered when I suggested they offer bulk quanities, they buy it in a cardboard box, with a plastic bag liner.

I am concerned about this for not only any liability they may face, but for the safety of anyone scooping into this bucket.

Please advise.

Troy

Troy:

Is there any kind of warning on the original cardboard box???

When I ran an FoP/LHBS, I did not repackage any chemicals. Early on, I did not have a scale. But also, I was busy making kits for others. Even if I did repackage, I would not have done K-meta. That stuff STINKS. Plus it bothers my throat. Anyone with asthma type problems should avoid at all costs.

I did sell the 2 oz (50g) packages, but also sold the 250g/500g, and even 1 kg packages.

Steve

I also dont like the dust or breathing the fumes that why my spray bottle is full of 99% alcohol I get from Kogers. It is the only place I can get 99%

I use powder myself and dont know why anyone would buy tablets once they strat making wine in succession. I understand when you get started and are making small batches and just dont want to play around with powder or scales but once you start making more wine you are just throwing money down the drain with the tablets. I also use NA Meta. as its cheaper and is stronger for sanitizing. I also use a corkidor with a 1 gallon jug of k-meta in there which keeps the corks sanitized well but you better open that bucket outside or you will be knocked on your ***!

you better open that bucket outside or you will be knocked on your ***!

Thanks for that comment Wade. I have wondered about that from time-to-time.

This might be a good time to mention that there are other choices for sanitizing. K-meta bothers me, so when I started making beer, and learned that K-meta was not recommended for beer (not strong enuff), I switched to iodophor for wine & beer.

Steve

I like the Starsan even better as you could use it on plastic buckets without it staining if you leave it in too long. Iodophor is a good product but it stains even worse then red wine.

Well StarSan is not readily available in Canada. I haven't had a lot of problems with iodophor staining. It did stain my plastic hoses when I ran an FoP. But they were hanging to dry over the sink where I sprayed a LOT of iodophor, and I didn't bother to rinse it off hoses that weren't going to be used immediately. The plastic rods from an auto-siphon (which were attached to those hoses) did not stain. I don't believe that the primaries that I was using stained either, but I sanitize immediately prior to use, so no sitting around with iodophor in them.

Steve

They are both great products. I like Starsan again as it will last a while stored even after mixing like k-meta solutio does But I also have Iodophor in my basement also. As far as sanitizing time goes they are pretty much equivalent as Starsan works in 60 seconds and Iodophor is 90 seconds and both are no rinse.

I dont use Campden, I use powder and mix it. Who want to spend time crushing up tablets? not me

I'm going to use the powder too as follows :

1% solution ( 10 Gramms dissolved in 1 liter water ) as Sanitizer

and

10% solution ( 100 Gramms dissolved in 1 liter water ) as Preservative .

How do you make your Sanitizer and Preservative ?

Hector

Latest posts

Back