Used Bourbon/Beer barrel question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbertoletti

Junior
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy used bourbon barrels from a brewery in Chicago this weekend. They have several 53 gallon bourbon barrels that were used to barrel age beer of some sort. They are being sold for $50.

I was wondering are these good to age wine in, or would they be used up, or not good to use after beer was in there?

I've never barrel aged before, so if anyone has and advice, or easy to follow guides please let me know. I've been making wine for the past few years, so I am pretty confident in that side of the process, and I can make enough to keep the barrel topped off.

Any advice is welcome.

Jon

I would not recommend it. You'll end up with a bourbon essence, and perhaps worse. But at $50 a pop, I might be grabbing some for decorative purposes.

I agree -- don't use the barrel for wine. It has stored both bourbon and beer, so you will get flavors that don't go well with wine. 53 gallons of wine is a lot to dump. :-(

Latest posts

Back