What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. We have a Restaurant Depot about a mile from the house. Normally, you need a Federal Tax ID to have a membership there, but I've heard rumors that they've suspended that requirement during this little crisis of ours.

I don't have a membership but could use a friend's... lol

A little cheaper than the price shown online, but the chuck at Weg's is still super expensive. Tri Tip was $14.29/lb! 😳 A somewhat reasonable bone-in rib roast was $15.99/lb. And whole packer brisket still $5.99 - which is still puzzling to me as I've never once seen a whole brisket at Wegman's until last week.

1590006476895.jpeg

A little cheaper than the price shown online, but the chuck at Weg's is still super expensive. Tri Tip was $14.29/lb! 😳 A somewhat reasonable bone-in rib roast was $15.99/lb. And whole packer brisket still $5.99 - which is still puzzling to me as I've never once seen a whole brisket at Wegman's until last week.
Just got the weekly mailer from Giant today, ribeye steaks "on sale" for $14.99/lb. Aren't they usually $11.99 regular price and $7.99 or $8.99 on sale? Reason I haven't been visiting Giant as of late.

Just got the weekly mailer from Giant today, ribeye steaks "on sale" for $14.99/lb. Aren't they usually $11.99 regular price and $7.99 or $8.99 on sale? Reason I haven't been visiting Giant as of late.

I'll have to double check, but I could have sworn our Giant is doing one of their crazy $4.99/lb NY Strip Roast sales, and I thought Ribeye roasts were a pretty good deal too.

Still waiting for the Lowes and Home Depot Memorial Day charcoal sale to show. Normally, they have twin 20lb bags for ten bucks, which is 50% off.

Nice to be able to make a nice grilled meal since I'm stuck at home. Could have never pulled this one off if I was working, don't get home early enough before dinner to complete the cook. Didn't find a brisket when foraging for food after "work" today, but found a nice beef back rib chunk for $4.99/lb. Rubbed with a basic bbq rub (Steven Raichlen's version), sat it for 1/2 an hour and got the charcoal snake going. Added a hunk of mesquite for an hour of the cook. Temps dropped pretty fast (started at 230 deg for the smoking phase) and noticed when I opened the kettle grill to extract the hunk of wood that my snake had a gap in it. Fixed the gap, added some unlit charcoal to what was going and it shot up to 295 pretty quickly. Wrapped in foil after another hour and a half. Brought in for a rest 30 minutes before eating. Took about 4 hours total cook time. Did it at the higher temps because the Weber site suggested it. Was very tender, was worried it wasn't low and slow enough.

Served with fried red skinned potatoes and a freshly made salad w/bleu cheese dressing, and, and, and bacon. Yum!

5-20-20_ribs-1.jpg

5-20-20_ribs-2.jpg

5-20-20_ribs-3.jpg

I may finally be getting the hang of the bread thing. I feared this last attempt was going to be WAAAY too "rustic," but I can live with this. Dinner was the home-baked bread, leftover braised kale (EVOO, onions), grilled asparagus (EVOO, Za'atar), grilled potato slices (Montreal steak seasoning), grilled mushroom caps (soy, EVOO), and Jim's (@Boatboy24 's) recipe of Roadside chicken thighs (grilled, natch). Washed down with the rando Pinot Gris referenced in the other thread.

bread 20May.pngimg_000444.jpgIMG_0564.jpg

What about the flavor?

There are two kinds of skirt - outside and inside. One is better than the other, and I can never remember which is which.

Back