What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weather was lovely (if slightly cool for mid-early May), so we decided to grill. Leftover roasted artichoke, potato slices (microwaved, then finished on grill); asparagus (parboiled, then finished on the grill, seasoned with chervil); grilled fresh garlic ramps; grass-fed beef ribeye steak (brined, then marinated in garlic and EVOO). All washed down with my 2017 Syrah. No complaints were heard!

View attachment 60978View attachment 60980
Looks amazing!!

Finally a nice day with winds below 20 mph. Started up a pork butt, using the snake method in the Weber kettle. Fat has split so according to Aaron Franklin, it's time to wrap it up in foil for a few hours. Called Mom (remember to call your Mom!), got the lawn done and a few other things. About to sit back and enjoy a beer and watch the cooking project finish.

5-10-20_pork-2.jpg

Weather was lovely (if slightly cool for mid-early May), so we decided to grill. Leftover roasted artichoke, potato slices (microwaved, then finished on grill); asparagus (parboiled, then finished on the grill, seasoned with chervil); grilled fresh garlic ramps; grass-fed beef ribeye steak (brined, then marinated in garlic and EVOO). All washed down with my 2017 Syrah. No complaints were heard!

View attachment 60978View attachment 60980
Paul, I notice that you use a lot of artichokes in your cooking. I love them but they cost an arm and a leg here in the Columbus, Ohio area. If you don't mind, what do you pay for them in your area?

Paul, I notice that you use a lot of artichokes in your cooking. I love them but they cost an arm and a leg here in the Columbus, Ohio area. If you don't mind, what do you pay for them in your area?

Hey, Rocky, I usually pay about $2 each. Sometimes they are on sale for $1.50, or a by-the-pound price that works out okay, but $1.99 seems to be "standard" here. So, yes, probably not the cheapest veggie to buy!

I only have about 10 vegetables on my "standard rotation," which feels very rut-like. As a result, I am not going to let the $4 bucks stop me when they look good!

What a beautiful day! What a beautiful smell, hickory goodness!

View attachment 60997

I need to cook this more often. My wife just requested brisket. Took me about 1 millisecond to answer "okay, honey". She's handing over the money for the raw ingredient.

Looks good, Craig. I need to do pork butt more often too. So many uses for leftovers, and it's dirt cheap.

Don't know if you have a Costco membership, but they usually have Prime grade brisket for about $3.49/lb here.

We're doing a 'mixed grill' tonight. Wife wanted steak, so I took a filet out of the freezer for her, and a portion of a NY Strip for me. Put them in SV around 3:30 before we ran off to meet a photog to do some Mother's Day pics that my wife has been wanting. About a 40 minute trip each way to her small 'farm', which is about 5 minutes from a winery I like. But it's the COVID era and today isn't my day, so we came straight home. Hopefully, we get some good pics and Mama is happy. It was a great deal, and a way to help out a friend of a friend whose wedding photography business isn't doing much these days - win, win. Anyway, back to the reason for this post. Our mixed grill will consist of the aforementioned steaks, a small piece of salmon for my youngest and a boneless, skinless chicken breast for #1. For the salmon, I mixed up some soy sauce, brown sugar, powdered ginger (didn't have fresh), garlic, sesame oil and a little orange juice and zest. That'll soak for a total of an hour or so. I'm kinda jealous I won't be eating the salmon now, but I'm sure I'll sneak a bite. Chicken will be rubbed with Stubbs BBQ rub and the steaks are seasoned simply with Montreal. Grilled asparagus and tots on the side (I may make a small Caesar salad for myself as well.

Looks good, Craig. I need to do pork butt more often too. So many uses for leftovers, and it's dirt cheap.

Don't know if you have a Costco membership, but they usually have Prime grade brisket for about $3.49/lb here.
I usually wait until the Giant put them on fire sale. They have about 10 full briskets on sale, but I know they will go lower in the next few weeks. Right now I think they are around $50 per, they will eventually come down to around $25 dollars, that's when I get them. I think the Giant also has a sale this week for the whole beef tenderloins at $5.99 a pound. They need a bit of silver skin removal but I've had two in the last few months and they are pretty good quality in my opinion (no one complained, though we don't get tenderloin beef very often, especially with my recent cut in hours).

I usually wait until the Giant put them on fire sale. They have about 10 full briskets on sale, but I know they will go lower in the next few weeks. Right now I think they are around $50 per, they will eventually come down to around $25 dollars, that's when I get them. I think the Giant also has a sale this week for the whole beef tenderloins at $5.99 a pound. They need a bit of silver skin removal but I've had two in the last few months and they are pretty good quality in my opinion (no one complained, though we don't get tenderloin beef very often, especially with my recent cut in hours).

If you can get tenderloin for that price, buy all you can! I can barely get sirloin here for that price.

Trying to eat a bit healthier as of late. My Son who is still at home (other is in the USAF in Florida) loves fish and we rarely get to eat it since the "girls" in the household don't really fancy it. Got a frozen 2 1/2 foot fillet of mahi mahi, which was a bit thin, but was only about $7. Hadn't had mahi mahi in so long I couldn't tell you when, so hacked it up into four portions while still frozen, two of which will be charcoal grilled for some lunchtime fish tacos later in the week. Today was only salt, pepper and olive oil. A bit of cilantro atop mine. Grilled on the gas grill between wind driven rain showers and, for me, put on top of some leftover salad from last nights dinner. I sparingly used some Greek salad dressing and the salad was amazingly filling. What a great tasting fish, I can see how you could make some pretty good fish tacos with it.

You can tell I have some time on my hands with this work at home thing. I'm really starting to enjoy this semi-retired lifestyle, gonna be hard to go back to work, if we ever are allowed to do so.

Edit: I should try starting a go-fund-me page to raise money so I can retire this summer, are you allowed to do that? I'm good at thinking up a good sob story. As the late Warren Zevon wrote "poor, poor, pitiful me".

5-11-20_mahi-mahi.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back