Straining bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I read on this forum about straining bags. Does anyone use any? Can you reuse them? This seems like a nice shortcut. I wish I had them on the batch I'm making now. My next two batches are Summer's Breeze. After that I'm going to do some more big reds and might order some.

Home depot 5 gallon paint strainner bags are awesome. I also use the strainere bags you can get here. Both work well but the paint stariner bags are my choice now.

I have bought them at Sherwin Williams and Ace Hardware. Most stores that sell paint should have them. That said, I have not found them at Walmart yet. Your kits with grape pack will come with a bag. Not as large as the 5 gal strainer bags but they will work just fine. I would not reuse one. Too much risk of contamination for such a small price.

I use the ones George sells and have been reusing them for years. Ive had one of them for about 6 years now, the others have ripped around year 3 or 4but still after that many uses they have easily saved me money over running to the big box stores and using and throwing away.

I have reused mine (ones from George) that I have used for country fruit wines. I make sure to get all the bits of fruit out that get stuck in it - which can actually be something of a challenge!

Ditto on 5 gallon paint straining bags.
To clean them I use a "OXY" cleaner

Back