Chateau Michaelena Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at the edge of the grass next to the walk! If the garden runs north to south, then the fence will shade the vines in the morning. If the vines were moved over to the grass they won't have shade-GOOD. Keep them two feet away fron the walk, add a second row two feet the other side of the walk, buld a trellis over the top and run the vines up and over the trellis for a covered walkway.???????

Try to get the pH to about 6.5, but don't fret too much over it.

i am very happy for you...!

you might consider a cheap investment in a Hi-Lo thermometer and see just how well you fit into that Zone 5..and get any other winter temp info for you area that you can lay hands to..TRUST ME..its worth finding out now as to whether every five or ten yrs you are gonna get a Zone 4 winter and you thought you were a zone 5......nothing like losing vines to the snow line to teach you that lesson! :)

all that Rich said and add the irrigation feed before you do the planting

lastly..i would consider getting rid of the tree etc and put in a THIRD ROW!!!!! :)

well, how about one MORE thing....if you are a really dry climate, then i would consider ANOTHER ROW going east west at that back fence..i know that this is not customary...but as dry as you likely are and as sunny as you likely are then i think you can do a leaf management thing to bring in a crop from more vines

six vines???? ha...i bet you will have 30 in there...no!...forget that...i see you having 50-60 in 4 yrs or less

after you get set up it is minimal effort to handle extra vines

call me when you start singing and talking to them :)

Rich, Al, thanks for the responses
smiley1.gif

That fence you see would actually shade the vines from the hot afternoon sun in the Summer. That fence is on the West side of the property. Our sun is meaner than most others due to the thin altitude. Much more UV light......

20100427_204508_DSC00133.jpg

I am thinking I need to just till up all that water sucking Kentucky Blue grass that you see and just xeriscape the entire center of the yard with rows and rows of grapes!
smiley36.gif
Of course my better half might not be too happy.......

My other big concern once things get going is this.........

20100427_204650_DSC00025.jpg

This is what happens every few years during the monsoon season in the desert southwest!
smiley19.gif

Hail storms that pop up in the afternoon and dump 2-3 inches of hail in about 5-10 minutes and then move on leaving a path of garden (and vineyard I would guess) destruction in their wake.......

maybe you can rig up some bird netting to keep the hail off the vines.

There are types of bird netting that will afford hail protection.

You will be a better judge of the layout of your lot than we can be from a picture or two. Good luck with the project. Hope the vines grow well.

Good Luck....I hope you can make it work......I really enjoy what you and people like you can do.....Go for it.....
smiley32.gif

i agree w Xanxer...if you know a storm is around, you could lift it over...heck, some poly would be quick enough

ya know if your sun is that strong then the pergola thing is a good idea...other areas of the world must be a bit like yours and provide the proper answer for what you need

i know this is out of left field but will say it anyway...i have always thought of you as a happy person...hope to one day sit down and share a glass w you....and being what i think you are, your answers for your vineyard will always be found in simply pursuing your dream...step by step...as the need arises, the natural curiousity will lead to ask the right questions and get the answers you need.....

its gonna work this new vineyard...and i cant wait to see all the pictures

hey..what about a bocce court in bewteen the rows..or under the pergola :)

Hey Al,

I think the older I get the happier I get, something about not sweating the small stuff in life (and it's ALL small stuff!)
smiley36.gif

Would love to share a glass (heck, make it a bottle!) with you some day.
smiley17.gif

This past year has taught me so much more about savoring every minute you have in this life. Back in August I lost my best friend of 30 years to a stroke at the age of 59. From the outside he looked to be the picture of health. 6'2" and thin as a rail. He got up out of bed one morning and hit the ground. I watched him pass from this earth from a brain hemorrhage in just 2 days.....
smiley28.gif

That lesson (among some others) has taught me to live each and every day to the fullest (and) like it's your last one on earth as you just never know what cards your going to be dealt in this life.

Raise your glass.

Salud!

I'm glad you're going to do this as well -- and that last picture shows a lot of potential, I think. (Aren't there some vineyards over by Chimayo or Truchas at about the same altitude?) It appears the picture is looking almost straight west (toward the national forest, if I've got it oriented right). So there should be lots of sun -- and early morning sun exposure (for those cold nights at your altitude) might be a consideration. It seems one could back away from the fence far enough that shade wouldn't be an issue from a setting western sun. As for hail, I figure it's like all those possibilities (late frost, early snow... bad cell phone service) those of us who live in the mountain west just have to put up with to be in God's country!
smiley2.gif

You know, a SWMBO can come around pretty quickly sometimes if she is able to casually refer to "our vineyard" on those days when she has the girls over for tea and they ask, "what's all that out there in the yard?"
smiley36.gif

The problem with these Summer storms in that they happen or have a chance to happen every single day from about July 1st to about August 31st. Every day during this time of year we get moisture that we normally don't get except this time of year pumped up from Mexico.

When it combines with the afternoon heating and the mountains you get the rise and lift of warm and cool air masses. As the rain falls it often can rise back up and freeze, then fall, then rise. The more it does this the bigger the hail gets.

Most of the time you just get a quick heavy 10 minute rain that can dump 1/2 inch then it moves on down the road. Every now and then you get pea sized hail but every few years your luck is guaranteed to run out and your going to get pummeled hard with some of this stuff......
smiley19.gif

20100428_100540_hail.jpg

So I would have to put a tarp over each vine (once they mature) every afternoon for 2 months.......... Almost an impossible task. The one day you miss its almost a certainty that a storm will hit!

Al Fulchino said:
i agree w Xanxer...if you know a storm is around, you could lift it over...

Yep, good catch!

La Chiripada Winery is located up the road about 40 minutes towards Taos. They have a few acres of grapes onsite but most of their stuff is sourced from our state mecca for grapes down South in Demming where 450 acres of grapes are planted. If they get hammered it just doesn't look pretty at the winery but the grapes are safe 400 miles away at much lower altitude.

You do have the orientation correct. They would get hours and hours of sun and then get shaded from the afternoon/late evening sun (hottest part of the day). Its all going to be an experiment. Win, lose, draw it will be an adventure and thats why we do this stuff, right!

OilnH2O said:
  (Aren't there some vineyards over by Chimayo or Truchas at about the same altitude?)  It appears the picture is looking almost straight west (toward the national forest, if I've got it oriented right).  So there should be lots of sun --  and early morning sun exposure (for those cold nights at your altitude) might be a consideration.  It seems one could back away from the fence far enough that shade wouldn't be an issue from a setting western sun. 

Well I started the process of planting yesterday! Will post pics later when all the vines are in. I only got half to less than half way through yesterday. I am digging with a post hole digger (powered by me.......)
smiley19.gif

My problem is the wonderful volcanic soil that resides in northern NM. You dig down 6-8 inches and run into basaltic rock almost every time in some form and size:

20100517_151704_basalt.jpg

I need/want to get down around 18" in order to get my post sunk good. I am using 2x2 Redwood and am planning on head training (no wire trellis) but am open to suggestions due to my space limitations.

Anyways I am wiped out today. Only got 9 vines in the ground and at least that and more left to plant. I will have vines in every nook and cranny before my SWMBO realizes my diabolical vineyard plan!
smiley2.gif

Bwwaaa ha ha ha ha ha!

The first thing I would do would be to plant the vines so they can get growing. Then I would try to sink a test steel fence post so you can use a sledge hammer on it and hopefully drive by some of the rock. Depending on the depth you can get, put them about every 3 vines. Then you can get some trellis wires up. I don't think head training will work very well with Corot Noir and Noiret as they are fairly vigorous. Good luck hiding the whole yard going into a vineyard......... You can always say the aliens did it
smiley3.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley36.gif
She'll be callling immigration!

They are actually growing pretty darn well in pots at the moment! The Double A vines are still afraid to show me the buds but I think they are starting to swell finally. We finally got some warm weather over the weekend but we still had a low of 34 on Saturday morning!
smiley3.gif

This continues to be one of the coolest Springs on record and I have lived here for 25 years now. On the brighter side, the winery is staying around 63 degrees still and its now mid to middle of May. I may be able to forget about an AC unit if this keeps up and we get into the monsoon season. The 9" of attic blanket above the winery has really made a difference in temp swings compared to what it used to be like.

I'm glad the soil here is a nice sandy loam. I wouldn't have a vineyard if I had had to dig post holes through the soil you have. Good luck and keep us posted.

BOB

Latest posts

Back