primary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shasta

Junior
Reaction score
im focused on making small batches of wine for now i.e. 1-3 gallons

someone sent me some gumbo in a 3 gallon bucket that originally contained double dutch fudge icing

the lid has a nice rubber seal

thinking about using it as a primary fermenter

anyone can give me a reason why i shouldnt? I don't want to use it if there is a flaw in my thinking

As long as you clean it out good and sanitize you'll be fine. Just remember some fermentations get quiet vigorous and can spill over if the container is not big enough.

As long as you clean it out good and sanitize you'll be fine. Just remember some fermentations get quiet vigorous and can spill over if the container is not big enough.

thanks, i do plan on upgrading size once i can afford to ...right now tuition takes up over 50% of my income so im trying to stay on the cheap end so free bucket to me = fermenter lol

thanks, i do plan on upgrading size once i can afford to ...right now tuition takes up over 50% of my income so im trying to stay on the cheap end so free bucket to me = fermenter lol

Dormroom hooch? LOL

Group.jpg

Even on a budget it's amazing just how fast the equipment multiplies. I would say money is the second biggest need of this hobby. SPACE is #1.

I would be concerned using a bucket used for gumbo. You may pick up off flavors and ruin your wine while only saving a few bucks for a bucket (food grade). It may look and smell clean but can still impart flavors you don't want. I have a batch of Riesling with a slight off flavor that was only transported in a so called clean container at the fresh pressed state.

Back