Rose Petal Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenHardy

Junior
Reaction score
Whilst I recognise that rose petals are not strictly a 'fruit', does anyone know how stable the colour is for rose petal wine? In other words, do I have to wrap my demijohn in silver foil to prevent light getting to it? Though I have been making wine for about 15 years, this is the first year in which I have tried rose petal wine. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a photo of what it looks like on my blog, but I can't post a link to it (as this is my first ever post, and - sensibly - this forum only allows links if you have posted 5 or more posts). If you google 'Ben Hardy' and 'Rose Petal Wine' you will probably find my blogspot blog.

Ben

Since I kept mine in my crawlspace, which is completely dark 95% of the time, I cant speak to the color issue. But I followed a recipe for blackberry wine that insisted the carboy be covered to prevent light exposure, so I put the carboy in the cardboard box it came in, with a hole cut in the top for the airlock to stick out of, and it worked perfectly. Better safe than sorry :)

I used to keep my blackberry wine in the dark, but then I experimented by keeping one in the light and one in the dark, and they turned out the same. The only wine where I am sure it makes a difference is Rhubarb - which will lose its pink tinge if kept in clear demijohns.

Back