Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Food, Pairing & Craft Foods > What's for Dinner?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #4081
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 2796 Times on 1836 Posts
Likes Given: 3079

I am away from home, staying in my sister's house and taking care of my mom while my sister is away. Tonight, I finally had a chance to make a decent dinner. I had one of my brothers over for dinner, so that is the first decent meal that poor sod has had in a while.

It isn't easy cooking in someone else's kitchen! I made lamb shoulder chops, seasoned and flash-seared. Came out too salty Also, the smashed 'taters tostone-style that I have written about so many times. A little sauce of mushrooms and Vidalias to top things off. And finally, I made broccoli rabe (or rapini, if you prefer). I sauteed/braised, and added 6 cloves of garlic, and it still was not enough! But it came out just fine, really. Washed down with Bogle Old Vine Zin.

For Craig and the others who keep raving about the Giant, I went there to check out the goods. I did find a ~$7 ribeye, but NO LAMB! So it was off to the Acme (for the non-cognescenti, that is pronounced "Ack-a-me"), where they had beautiful lamb for reasonable prices. And in to the State Store to be gouged. (Not really -- they had the Bogle on sale for $10.99, and it drinks every penny of that!)

People Like This 
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM   #4082
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 1853 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post

For Craig and the others who keep raving about the Giant, I went there to check out the goods. I did find a ~$7 ribeye, but NO LAMB! So it was off to the Acme (for the non-cognescenti, that is pronounced "Ack-a-me"), where they had beautiful lamb for reasonable prices. And in to the State Store to be gouged. (Not really -- they had the Bogle on sale for $10.99, and it drinks every penny of that!)
Humm, our Giant always has lamb, but not always reasonably priced. Around these parts the Acme was pronounced "Hack-me". Very few of them to be found, if any exist at all. I'll have to do an internet search, where everything is true and good.

Edit: My closest Acme is 80 miles away from me in Downingtown, close to where my Dad's sister used to live.

sour_grapes Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #4083
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 2796 Times on 1836 Posts
Likes Given: 3079

Interesting: there seems to be a bit of an anti-correlation (although there is at least two of each close to where I am, viz., in the Northeast).
acme.jpg   giant.jpg  

ceeaton Likes This