Bulk age in better bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deneed4spd

Junior
Reaction score
I want to bulk age my wine but want to split my 6 gallons into two separate 3 gallon batches. One 3 gallon batch I'll leave per instructions. Second 3 gallon batch I want to add a bit more oak and maybe tannin. But the only 3 gallon carboys I have are better bottles. Can I bulk age for 6 months in better bottles?

I only use Better Bottles and haven't had a problem with 6 months bulk aging, racking at 3 months.

Oxygen permeability is significantly higher, but I think you are still safe at 6 months. Be sure to keep your SO2 levels up.

I have a bunch of better bottles and never had any problems. I add kmeta (potassium metabisulfite) every three months at 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons. I don't rack every three months unless there's more than an inch of sediment. Note that you'll need to keep the wine "topped up" to within an inch or so of the neck of the better bottle, so you'll want to have a wine that is similar to add.

Back