What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was traveling, my wife accepted delivery of these, which are now resting comfortably. Thanks, Jim!

Haven't tried mine yet (almost did over the weekend). Kinda hoping I don't love it, since the purchase window has come and gone. ;)

A couple of Woodenville wineries and a Sierra foothills

I heard about Gideon Beinstock and his terroir wines, so I finally decided to give them a try:h

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

Whats new in my Cellar? Certainly none of these....... :)

Intersting to look up the reviews and scores (WS) over the last ~15 years. Be fun to try some on somebody else's $0.10. Need to make friends with a Wall Street banker I guess!

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 2.11.55 PM.png

Well this was in my Cellar until last night anyway! We popped the cork on a 2006 Le Clos du Callow Reserve Châteauneuf-du-Pape. This has been in the cellar for almost 8 years now I think and was one of the first wines ever purchased for long term cellaring. 95pts WS with a drinking window all the way out to 2030 no less. This was carefully poured and decanted for an hour before serving along with some fantastic 2004 and 2008 Burgundy which was brought for dinner. All the wines were spectacular but the CNdP stole the evening. Was not a fair fight LOL Unbelievable pairing(s) with the meal for sure.

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

Last edited:
A boomerang box arrived today! Packed up a couple bottles for @heatherd not long ago. If I'm not mistaken, that same box arrived back at my doorstep today, filled with different wines. Thanks Heather! Looking forward to enjoying these.

IMG_5325.jpg

Well, well, look what I sneaked into the cellar today! Took advantage of one last cool snap this week and was able to get my mixed case out of WA State before it becomes too hot to ship. Snagged mostly hard to source Rose's from Kerloo Cellars, Renegade Wine Co, Tranche, The Underground Wine Co (Mr. Pink) and then one BIG GUN, a 2014 Passing Time H3 Cab Sauv. This wine is made by Chris Peterson of Avennia fame for Dan Marino's little side winemaking project and has always scored well so I usually snag one each year without being on the list as they have a 6 Pack minimum. All arrived nice and cool via ground. We had a low this AM of 42! OK Summer, bring it on!

IMG_2212.jpg

I too was able to take advantage of cool temps, a refrigerated truck and cold packs to be more precise. 2014 Hall Terra Secca is a cab from the eastern hills of Napa Valley, not a lot of history or reviews on it yet, 91 on CT. Figured I'd give it a shot at a lower price than the other Halls, hope it's a winner in a few years......

IMG_0847.jpg

Made a Costco run on Friday and look what jumped into my cart! 2012 Giovanni Sordo Barolo. 95pts WS and won't be drinking it for a few years it looks like. Not a bad wine for only $32.99!

Also snagged a couple of the new Kirkland Rose' for a whopping $8.99 ea. :db

963816.jpg

Cotes-de-Provence-Kirkland-Signature-rose-wine.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 6.38.35 AM.png

I'd heard about this "all Italy" project, and though the blended vintages are uncertain (date on the bottle is the start of the project, not of the wine), I am a sucker for a big Italian red. So... on the way. One to decant and enjoy, three to stick back in the darkest regions awhile.

Been on a bit of a Petite Syrah tear lately and ran into this wine from Como No wines https://www.comonowines.com/ and had to try it. They've been getting really great reviews, and while this is a "collector" type wine (look at the drink dates!!), the price isn't all that bad for a great wine. These guys hang on to their wines for a while before releasing, and have only just released their inaugural wines, 2011 & 2012 vintages, and only sell by the case (12 - 750's or 6 magnums). I ordered a case and joined their allocation list.

Pretty good read on the website about their history and what they are trying to do with their wine production. Small producer with limited production. Should be a big winner, the 2013 and 2014 vintages received 95+ from Parker, but won't be out for a while..............

2012 Como No • Petite Syrah
Rating: 94+
Drink Date: 2025 - 2065
Reviewed by Robert M. Parker, Jr.

The 2012 Petite Syrah spent two years in cask in French oak. It has an inky bluish/purple color, gorgeous richness, texture and a full-bodied mouthfeel. It is an infant and needs probably a decade of cellaring to reveal more nuance, but this is a 40- to 50-year wine.

This is the new Petite Syrah project of Carl Doumani, who was one of the pioneers of high-quality Petite Syrah from his vineyard in Stags Leap, which has been subsequently sold. Both of these wines are made with assistance from consultant Aaron Pott, and they are about as terrific as Petite Syrah can be.

comono.png

Back