Common Terms

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I make a suggestion for a list for newbies like myself? I see all these terms and chemicals being thrown around and added to various recipes at different times. Is there a general rule of thumb (for frozen fruit wine makers like myself) for:
What to add (chems)?
When to add?
Why add (what does it do)?
Benefits for short term/long term?
Additives for aging (in carboys and/or bottles)?

No disrespect intended, but books have been written on the very subject(s), and are far more comprehensive than the responses you will get here. The forum is wonderful, but isn't the only source of information. I'd suggest you start with the book below, one of my favorites, all of the information you are requesting, and more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1550652362/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense taken. This is why I'm here in this forum. For feedback and information to help me better my skills. Thank you for the link for the book. I posted here because even though books will give me the information I might need, nothing can replace experience. And if you're looking for experience in winemaking books are OK this forum can't be beat

No offense taken. This is why I'm here in this forum. For feedback and information to help me better my skills. Thank you for the link for the book. I posted here because even though books will give me the information I might need, nothing can replace experience. And if you're looking for experience in winemaking books are OK this forum can't be beat

Agreed. There are lots of folks here who could write dissertations on the topics you are interested in, the base knowledge, once obtained, is where you can get real world value from the folks who have "been there, done that".

Additionally, there will be lots of experience with different proprietary products, for example, different brands of fermentation tannins, or finishing tannins, which you might not find in the books. As long as you come to the table understanding why we put tannins in a wine during primary fermentation, and the basic chemical processes that bind color and other components of the must into the finished wine, the proprietary stuff will be more easily understood.

When I started making wine, and before I found this forum, I gobbled down a bunch of winemaking books and still reread them upon occasion, it's amazing how much I forget.....................

And here is a resource that is decent, comprehensive, and free: http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wredw.pdf

I totally agree with everything you say . Knowing what to add is not always as important as knowing why to add. And Sour_Grapes, thank you the link. I have a lot of good reading to do over this weekend since I have to wait for my DB to clear.

Last edited:
And here is a resource that is decent, comprehensive, and free: http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wredw.pdf

This website has been my Bible lately and I find myself referring to it often. For each step of the process I've been giving whatever section I'm at a nice thorough read. But be careful because when I'm trying to take in too much at once I retain very little.
Also that book that was suggested earlier I have heard recommended by countless people. It is sold in almost every single LHBS. (Local homebrew shop)

No disrespect intended, but books have been written on the very subject(s), and are far more comprehensive than the responses you will get here. The forum is wonderful, but isn't the only source of information. I'd suggest you start with the book below, one of my favorites, all of the information you are requesting, and more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1550652362/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There is a great amount of knowledge in this book from Daniel !

I highly recommend it to everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
EM is a newish term used here to mean "extended maceration." It means letting the must sit on the skins for a long time. This could be wine from fresh grapes, but more likely here to mean leaving a kit with grapeskins on the skins for ~6 weeks or more.

"Definitive Book" One persons idea of the 'correct' way of doing something.

Anyone who has been active on this site for even a few months, knows that even the best books have a tendency to focus on a limited number of ways to get from "Fruit" to finished wine. Meanwhile a lot of new folks can become confused when they read so much widely varying information on different sites.
In the end there are certain processes in wine making that can be accomplished many ways but there are also some ways of doing some processes that are on the riskier end of the spectrum.
If I had to start over again, I'm not sure I would because the one thing I failed to grasp until several batches in....THE one most important 'skill' Patience. Time and time again we all see the newbies, like me, who want to get that wine finished and show it off to our friends and family. Unless some degree of Patience is exercise, most wind making efforts will result in wines that are 'drinkable' but not necessarily 'enjoyable.'

So My word or term for addition to this list is very simple to understand but SOOOO hard to practice for those of us starting out.

Patience - The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset. In wine making - the ability to recognize that the wine you start today will not be ready to 'enjoy' for at least a year, or longer.

Hooch - An alcoholic beverage (Commonly with a high ABV) with little to no resemblance to wine but ready to drink in a month or less

Sorry if this offends but after close to 3 years now of wine making this is something I have learned the hard way.

Last edited:
EM is a newish term used here to mean "extended maceration." It means letting the must sit on the skins for a long time. This could be wine from fresh grapes, but more likely here to mean leaving a kit with grapeskins on the skins for ~6 weeks or more.
Thanks for the information. I could not figure out what they were doing. Maybe someday I will get there.

Thank You for the thread! I am a beginner and it has answered
many questions for me! There is a word that maybe should be added
to Scooter68's "Patience", "ex·u·ber·ance", The inability to have patience! :0)

I understand both of those words. My Exuberance was tempered and brought forth patience when I compared a wine at 5 months with the same wine at 15 months.
The difference was remarkable.
5 months = meh, drinkable it has potential
5 months = Enjoyable! Primo! I'm ready to share this one!

Conclusion:
Drinking that wine at 15 Months - WOW! I did this? I done goooood! (Grammarians sorry but...)

Can I make a suggestion for a list for newbies like myself? I see all these terms and chemicals being thrown around and added to various recipes at different times. Is there a general rule of thumb (for frozen fruit wine makers like myself) for:
What to add (chems)?
When to add?
Why add (what does it do)?
Benefits for short term/long term?
Additives for aging (in carboys and/or bottles)?

I have a winemaking channel on youtube that might help ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCukfI_LTN8MqOLZq96ACbjA ). If there are any specifics that you would be interested in me covering, let me know in the comments section of a video.

Latest posts

Back