Disappointment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasemandingo

Reaction score
So I picked up a bottle of Banfi Rosso di Montalcino for 25.00 dollars expecting something different and interesting. However, I must say I am very disappointed. I am by no means an expert but the wine is very one dimensional to me. Like an 8.00 dollar bottle of Chianti. On the nose I can perceive cedar, a hint of vanilla(almost imperceptible) and a slight cherry. The body is seriously lacking with a short finish with tannins fading quickly. A little acidic but not overwhelming. Also, very light on flavor almost watery. I could have picked up a bottle of Ruffino Chianti Classico 2010 and been enjoying bright acidity and tart cherry with a reasonable finish with smooth tannins. Oh God, I am starting to act like I know what I am talking about. Time for another glass of disappointment!

P.S. Any suggestions on the budget Italian wine list that will satisfy and impress?

We recently bout the passitivo primitivo for $15 or so and it is delicious! I highly recommend it - hopefully more folks will respond to you though!

Well, you might not be an expert but you sure are able to describe the wine like one. I barely get past the like it/don't like it taste description.

Thanks for the reply! I Also enjoy the Palazzo della Torres Allegrini 2009. It is partially made from raisoned grapes like an amarone.

Rosso is only aged 3 years. Thats why it is flat. I think its just a way for
Brunello vintners to make a quick buck while the real stuff sits.

That said, I have had really good Rossos.

Thanks for the reply! I Also enjoy the Palazzo della Torres Allegrini 2009. It is partially made from raisoned grapes like an amarone.

That is a nice wine. In the $25 range you mentioned is the Tommasi Valpolicella Ripassa. Try it. If you like the Allegrini, I think you'll enjoy the Tommasi.

I've never been a big fan of Banfi in general, FWIW.

Last edited:
Well, you might not be an expert but you sure are able to describe the wine like one. I barely get past the like it/don't like it taste description.

That's me. I only have two tasting notes, either I like it or I do not.

Back