Vacuum degassing - How much vacuum should I pull and why

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I degas my carboy by hooking it up to an old Shop-Vac (electric vacuum cleaner) that I use for cleaning sawdust & debris off my porch? How would I measure the pressure? Is there some kind of manometer that is sold for this purpose? Would doing this ruin the Shop-Vac motor?

Has anybody done this? Or is this a bad idea?

Can I degas my carboy by hooking it up to an old Shop-Vac (electric vacuum cleaner) that I use for cleaning sawdust & debris off my porch? How would I measure the pressure? Is there some kind of manometer that is sold for this purpose? Would doing this ruin the Shop-Vac motor?

Has anybody done this? Or is this a bad idea?

I tried it and no bubbles came up. Guessing that Shop Vacs maybe move a lot of air but not with much pressure/vacuum.

My little wine bottle hand pump works for degassing but it takes a lot of pumping over the course of 2-3 days. Many folks use brake bleeder pumps. From what I read here the All in One pump is the way to go.

Last edited:
The shop vac is a good idea and all - but I don't think it has enough vacuum though. You are going to need a good amount of vacuum and LPM (liters per minute for the proper flow) You have to have both in order to degass properly and still have enough vacuum to keep everything running smoothly.

Looking for opinions on the gas getter. My LHBS uses one and I like it. I see how everyone likes the allinone but I don't know if I want a bottler also. Plus I ferment in one room and rack and bottle in another. So I still have to move carboys.
Any opinions would be appreciated

Two suggestions, 1) put your fermentation vessels on a rolling cart, "furniture moving dollies" as low as $15 ea & you can move 2 carboys on it at one time. 2) the AIO bottler is the best, makes bottling both FUN & PROFESSIONAL. Roy

Looking for opinions on the gas getter. My LHBS uses one and I like it. I see how everyone likes the allinone but I don't know if I want a bottler also. Plus I ferment in one room and rack and bottle in another. So I still have to move carboys.
Any opinions would be appreciated

I use the gas getter and like it a lot, the only con is there is no gauge to know the hg being created.

Kevin

This is a great explanation of degassing from winedegasser with some great links for anyone interested in the science like I am. Thought it would be interesting to some of my friends on here who haven't seen it. Great info.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making. As always, appreciative of everyone's effort and help making this site educational and fun

Yes it is -

Just to let you know that -
winedegasser now goes under the name of diywinemakers -
since he had to switched his product line.

I have no idea who either of these people are (although it looks like one is a vendor?), but I thought most forums prohibited having multiple ID's?

The ID "winedegasser" was a personal ID and has been deactivated for more than 18 mouths.

We are now an incorporated company and under the ID "diywinemakers".

Our product has evolved into a multi-functional FDR system (Filling, Degassing and Racking).

Please visit our website http://www.AceWineSupplies.com for more information.

Cheers,

"Interesting" design to say the least. Is that 160.00 complete or do you have to buy "extras"?

Yes the $160 Floor Corker FDR Package comes with everything except the floor corker.

This is a list of the compatible floor corkers -
www.acewinesupplies.com/documents/filler-corker-connector

And you would also need a regular wine bottle (or a jar or carboy) as the overflow container and a regular racking cane of course.

Cheers,

Didn't go to the parts page. Went to the description page and it appears that thd pump is being held on by a metal screw clamp.

I couldn't figure it all out, studying the web page. No offense to the seller, but the elegance of the All-In-One had me from hello. Using mine again this weekend to rack a few batches and bottle one batch. May come up a bottle short by the time Saturday is over. :d

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry that's an old picture of my prototype taken 1 year ago.

This is the vacuum station DIY plan. It's for DIYers so it does not look pretty but works.
http://www.acewinesupplies.com/documents/diy-building-a-wine-making-vacuum-station

AND we have a batch of pre-made vacuum station housing made of stainless steel and PVC coming in. I will have the website updated when I get them.

This is our oil-less untra-quite vacuum pump

Cheers,
Went to your page, is that the vacuum pump just hanging off the back held on by a screw clamp?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back