wine kit fermenting much faster than my non kit wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanek17

Reaction score
so im in the process of my first wine kit and its been steadily movin along, its just approaching the end of fermentation. i think my last hydrometer reading was .997 And this kits been fermenting since may 2nd and today is may 17th so its been roughly 2 weeks. but what im trying to grasp is how this is fermenting so well and quickly. like in comparison, iv got my other wine (made from frozen concentrate juice) and its been going so slowly to finish fermenting. i started them a month or two before this wine kit, but yet they take there sweet time to finish.

the two major differences iv noticed; the wine kit had bentonite mixed in before fermentation, whereas i did not use bentonite for my other wines. also the wine kit probably comes nicely thought out rite? just the rite blends of sugars and acids. they probably use thd appropriate yeast too. i guess there are alot of variables, im just tryin to understand this.

right

your right on all counts,using Benoite in the beginning assist the final finding process,manufactures can and do differ sometimes,but you are correct.:slp

Is there any way to help speed up the process for the slow fermenting wine? they have been sitting at SG 1.000. for awhile, and i want to bottle them. The one batch i made is an apple wine and I used raw carob sugar in it, and it smells and tastes awesome! im tempted to drink it... hahaa. the apple wine began fermenting march 2nd. and my roomates and freinds have been askin me "when will it be done"! :)

Is there any way to help speed up the process for the slow fermenting wine? they have been sitting at SG 1.000. for awhile, and i want to bottle them. The one batch i made is an apple wine and I used raw carob sugar in it, and it smells and tastes awesome! im tempted to drink it... hahaa. the apple wine began fermenting march 2nd. and my roomates and freinds have been askin me "when will it be done"! :)
not familiar with carob sugar, but it is possible that it does contain some unfermentable complex sugar chains, hence even though your reading 1.000, it could be because the unfermentable sugars are elevating your gravity reading....your wine may actually be done at 1.000....that might be as dry as it will get....when is the last time you checked it, and how frequently???....take a reading for 3 straight days and if it hasn't changed, then it is done....being that dry at 1.000, i wouldn't worry about it as not all wines finish below that level, depending on factors such as type of fruit and yeast being used, not to mention possible unfermentable sugars present as stated above...

g8keeper said:
not familiar with carob sugar, but it is possible that it does contain some unfermentable complex sugar chains, hence even though your reading 1.000, it could be because the unfermentable sugars are elevating your gravity reading....your wine may actually be done at 1.000....that might be as dry as it will get....when is the last time you checked it, and how frequently???....take a reading for 3 straight days and if it hasn't changed, then it is done....being that dry at 1.000, i wouldn't worry about it as not all wines finish below that level, depending on factors such as type of fruit and yeast being used, not to mention possible unfermentable sugars present as stated above...

good point dude. i didnt consider carob sugar may have unfermentable sugars. i heard honey is a complex sugar and it can take awhile for thd yeast too adapt their enzymes to break down these complex sugars.. maybe the yeast are preparing to break down the complex sugars for carob sugar? which if thats the case i dont think i would want to bottle it..

carob sugar is real good, iv only bought it once and tried it out with the apple juice, and so far so good! Its been sitting at sg of 1.000 since April 3rd, so thats 1 month and 15 days, i just didnt know if its just fermenting reeeal slow.

Last edited:
heres info from the website about carob sugar, for those of you wondering what it is. It doesnt say what type of sugar it is but at 103 Grams of carob weight 50Grams are sugars, and its loaded with nutrition so it would be good for the yeasties. Visit the website too see it in a better layout.

Health Benefits Of Carob

Carob is an evergreen flowering shrub, belonging to the pea family. Native to the Mediterranean region especially in the eastern and southern area of Spain, carob is cultivated for its edible seeds. It is found in its natural form in Southern Anatolia, Cyprus, Syria, Greece, Spain, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya and Israel. Consumed since ancient times, it is also known as Saint John’s Bread or locust bean. The dried carob fruit is traditionally consumed on Jewish holidays and the juice is taken by Muslims, during the Islamic month of Ramadan. It is used as a substitute in making various products such as baked goods, bars, snacks, cereal, dairy products, cocoa-containing products and beverages. Read on further to know the different health and nutrition benefits of eating carob and also find its nutritional value.

http://www.realrawfood.com/health-benefits-carob

Nutritional Value of Carob

Amount of Carob Flour: 1 cup
Total Weight of Carob Flour: 103 g

Nutrients
Amount
Basic Components

Protein
4.8 g
Water
3.7 g
Ash
2.3 g
Calories

Total Calories
Calories From Carbohydrate
Calories From Fat
Calories From Protein
Carbohydrates

Total Carbohydrate
91.6 g
Dietary Fiber
41 g
Sugars
50.5 g
Fats & Fatty Acids

Total Fat
0.7 g
Saturated Fat
0.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat
0.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat
0.2 g
Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids
4.1 mg
Total Omega-6 Fatty Acids
218 mg
Vitamins

Vitamin A
14.4 IU
Vitamin C
0.2 mg
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)
0.6 mg
Thiamin
0.1 mg
Riboflavin
0.5 mg
Niacin
2 mg
Vitamin B6
0.4 mg
Folate
29.9 mcg
Choline
12.3 mg
Minerals

Calcium
358 mg
Iron
3 mg
Magnesium
55.6 mg
Phosphorus
81.4 mg
Potassium
852 mg
Sodium
36.1 mg
Zinc
0.9 mg
Copper
0.6 mg
Manganese
0.5 mg
Selenium
5.5 mcg

Nutrition and Health Benefits of Eating Carob

Carob tannins contain Gallic acid that works as an analgesic, anti-allergic, antibacterial, antioxidant, antiviral and antiseptic.

Carob improves digestion and lowers cholesterol level in the blood.

It is used for treating diarrhea in children and adults alike.

Since it does not contain caffeine, carob benefits people with high blood pressure.
Regular use of carob helps in preventing lung cancer.

The vitamin E content in carob helps in treating cough, flu, anemia and osteoclasis.

The Gallic acid in carob helps in preventing and treating polio in children.

Carob fights against osteoporosis, due to its richness in phosphorus and calcium.

Carob pod husks are chewed by singers to clear the voice and throat.

yea i cant seem to find any info about which types of sugar are in the carob powder. i did find out that carob powder comes from the chocolate tree. so thats pretty cool. i was wondering why it had such an interesting smell and taste. Like it seemed so familiar and the. i found out this sugar is from the same tree as chocolate, and so far its pairingvery nicely with the apple wine.

Some one on the homebrew forum said it does contain fermentable sugars and they use it for carbonating their beer. Does anyone know if there is unfermentable sugar in carob powder?

Last edited:
Back