Jrjc from ct

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRJC

Junior
Reaction score
Well I been asking my best mans father for years next time you make wine can you call me so I can watch and learn. Well I have been married for 17 years now and no call. I finally went to the local supply store and took a introductory class to wine making. I am fermenting my first batch now.

Welcome to WMT! Everyone here has been great helping out all of us newbies. What are you making? Is it a kit? Fresh Juice or from fruit?

Welcome to WMT. That kit will take some time aging before it is at its prime. If you or your wife likes a semi sweet summer wine I would also suggest making a four week wine kit like Island Mist. These wine are good to drink in 6-8 weeks and the two of you can start drinking a wine this summer.

Welcome! Where in CT are you? There is a pretty good contingency of Nutmeggers here.

Welcome from another Cter! We need to keep the Cters coming! Ask what ever you need to know as thats why we are here!

Thanks for the warm welcome . I am pretty sure I will have a few questions .

Last edited:
Just finnnished transfering it over. The instructions in the kit are not clear just generic,glad I found this site.

what was your gravity when you racked it over to secondary???...my only concern is if it was still at about 1.04, which many kits suggest, you might wind up with a geyser with as full as you have the carboy topped up at this point....not to mention, when it comes time to add the kit's stabilizers and clarifiers, you don't really have the room to add and stir them in, much less room to agitate to degas the wine....

I too am veryconcerned with the level of your carboy ic its still fermenting! Heck, being that full even a temp change or barometric pressure change will put wine in your airlock. Mosti kits are the only ones that have you rack this early and it is a recipe for a volcano and not many people follow those instructions and if they do they keep about 1 gallon in a smaller vessel to prevent thd dreaded volcano.

Thanks for the quick feed back I have taken about a gallon out for more room.

Latest posts

Back