Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningalive

Reaction score
Im about to buy a wine kit and I'm a bit confused.... I just made30 bottles of cab franc from juice I bought from california. And all went well. I'm going to do a kit now so I can let the franc age and we don't drink it all, lol. But....the kits are weird and I don't get it! The process seems different with all the numbered packets and everything. The first step is to put bentonite in! What? That makes no sence to me...... Could someone explain why everything seems a bit different? Thanks.

Things seem different than using fresh grapes or juice, because the kit companies have already done part of the work for you. They have extracted the juice and adjusted the numbers where necessary. The bentonite is added at the beginning because some manufacturers have determined that when added then the fermenting action improves it's effectiveness in clearing without stripping flavors or colors later.

The important thing is to just follow the directions as stated to get a good wine ready to drink as soon as possible. This is how they have been able to get a quicker drinking product. Don't try to re-invent it or you will get wine that takes longer to come around.

Thanks appleman.....I kinda figured thats what the answer was going to be but just wanted to be sure....seems like they've already added some kmeta and stuff to the kit as well.....does this mean the sulfates will be higher than when you do it from the juice?

Another thing to look out for. Each kit mfg. will have a little different directions. Reason usually is the chemicals they put in the kits. By in large they do work out simular.

What kits are "in the wings"?

I bought a Vintners Reserve Blush kit. I will be buying another (probably a merlot) in a few weeks.

Good to see you are thinking ahead. Once you start this "hobby" you will soon find "friends" asking for a sample of your wine. Just watch how fast your wine disappears

Yeah, I have already found that to be true....We've already gone through half of our cab franc and alot of that went to friends!

Start asking your "friends" to save you bottles. You never have enough.

One more question.....last night I put together the first stage of my blush wine kit. It seems like this kit is done awful fast! I'm suppose to be in bottles after 4 to 5 weeks! It took me almost 4 months before I bottled my last wine (from the juice). Also it says things like stir vigarously! I thought you were not suppose to aggitate wine that much in the carboy? I'm confused why it's so different..... Also I put yeast on it last night but then questioned if I should have waited as I'm not sure the temp was right yet.....room temp is about 65 so I know that's good but if the wine wasen't quite there yet will it ruin it? Thanks!

Like I said previosly, you are making a kit now, not a wine from grapes. It is much faste, but you don't need to go that fast. You can extend certain operations once fermentation is done, especially bulk aging a bit after it is done before bottling.
When it says to stir vigorously, do so. That is to drive the gases out of suspension- which you don't need to do when making wine from grapes. Part of the difference is especially with reds, you press after fermentation is about done so there isn't much C02 left in it.

Yeast- it will be OK, but may be slow to start at that temperature. If it doesn't begin with 48 hour get another packet, increase the must temp and put the yeast in (you could even make a starter).

Thanks, will adding a second pack of yeasteffect the taste of the wine at all if I need to ?

Latest posts

Back