Need New Instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
Anyone want to help write new instructions for a wine kit. George is not a fan and said the effect will be limited due to pasteurization of the juice. But on the other hand he said he has a customer that swears by his altered process.

Goal: Great, smooth, buttery (not too much), oaked Chardonnay.

Kit: MM Masters Collection Outback Chardonnay (on back-order so I have a few weeks)

Equipment: Vadai Hungarian Oak barrel (this will be 3rd run), Freezer with controller (for fermentation control and CS)

Ingredients (just arrived from Morewine):
c71075f3-1.jpg

I think I ordered more then I need but the total was $11 so I wanted to get it in hand then make direction around list.

The plan as raw as it is:
1) Slow ferment in the freezer around 60 degrees.
2) Cold Stabilize for two weeks
3) Oak in the barrel for about 2 months.

What I need help with or need to research is; what to add, when to add it and how much to use.

I will be adding notes so please excuse the long posts ...

The GO-FERM® approach is to provide bioavailable micronutrients in the non-stressful environment of the yeast rehydration water instead of the traditional method of adding micronutrients to the must. During rehydration, the yeast acts like a sponge, soaking up GO-FERM®’s bioavailable nutrients. This direct contact between GO-FERM® and the yeast in the absence of the must matrix avoids chelation of key minerals by inorganic anions, organic acids, polyphenols and polysaccharides present in the must. It also prevents essential vitamins from being rapidly taken up by the competitive wild microflora or inactivated by SO2. By making key minerals and vitamins available to the selected yeast at the critical beginning of its stressful task, the yeast’s viability increases and fermentations finish stronger.

The use of GO-FERM® results in significantly better overall health of yeast cells through-out the fermentation, affecting fermentation kinetics and resulting in a cleaner aromatic profile.

Dosage recommendations: Use 30 g/hL (2.4 lb/1000 gal) of GO-FERM® when rehydrating yeast to supply critical micronutrients. Note: This recommendation is based on a yeast inoculum of 25 g/hL (2 lb/1000 gal). If using more or less yeast, respect a ratio of 1 part yeast:1.25 parts GO-FERM®.

FERMAID K®
The original and reliable FERMAID® K is a blended complex yeast nutrient that supplies inorganic nitrogen (DAP), organic nitrogen (alpha amino nitrogen derived from yeast extract), key nutrients (magnesium sulfate, thiamine, folic acid, niacin, biotin and calcium pantothenate) and inactivated yeast.

It is best to add FERMAID® K over two additions. The first addition is made at the end of the lag phase (6 to 12 hours after yeast inoculation) and the second addition is made around 1/3 sugar depletion (the end of exponential growth and the beginning of the stationary phase).

With proper rehydration and handling, the yeast cell population should be at least 4 million cells/mL at inoculation. By the time the second FERMAID® K addition is made, this population should have grown to about 100 million cells/mL. It is critical to remember that yeast are still reproducing during the stationary phase, and to do this effectively, especially in high sugar musts, they need oxygen as well as the components of FERMAID® K, including nitrogen (for protein synthesis), sterols and fatty acids (for maintaining alcohol resistance and permease activity). In addition, the inactivated yeast cell walls in FERMAID® K adsorb medium-chain fatty acids that are toxic to yeast, and provide nucleation sites to help keep the yeast in suspension.

If Fermaid K complex yeast nutrient is used, the recommended dosage is as follows:

Add 12.5 g/hL (1 lb/1000 gal) FERMAID® K at the end of the lag phase (beginning of alcoholic fermentation).

and

Add 12.5 g/hL (1 lb/1000 gal) FERMAID® K around 1/3 sugar depletion.

The kit has a raisin pack ... but I'm not sure if I want to use this ???

Lallzyme Cuvée Blanc™: White Grape Skin-Contact Macerating Enzyme
Lallzyme Cuvée Blanc has been developed by LALLEMAND for its specific action on white grapes during skin-contact maceration in order to obtain high quality white wines, rich in taste with intense mouthfeel and good structure.

Lallzyme Cuvée Blanc, a very specific blend of pectinases and glycosidases, has been used with success in different wine regions around the world, particularly for Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Semillon.

OptiWHITE®
For smooth and rounded white wines

OptiWHITE® is a specific inactivated yeast with high antioxidant properties. Its application in white wines is patent pending. Using OptiWHITE® on the juice at the beginning of fermentation results in smoothness and greater aromatic complexity in white wines. As its unique properties protect against oxidation of phenols and aromas, OptiWHITE® contributes to better color preservation and the aromatic freshness of white wines.

Yeast cell wall components from OptiWHITE® will be solubilized during fermentation and aging. These polysaccharides will have a very positive impact on bringing more roundness to the wine. Their action will enhance the benefits of autolysis following alcoholic fermentation.

Dosage recommendations:

Add OptiWHITE® to the juice at 30-50 g/hL (2.4-4 lb/1000 gal) for a smoothing contribution, anti-oxidative color protection and aromatic freshness.
Add OptiWHITE® towards the end of fermentation at 20-30 g/hL (1.6-2.4 lb/1000 gal) for smoothing and better integration of wood and alcohol.

and last one ...

cott’TanTM FT Blanc Soft is similar to FT Blanc in applica*tion but wines made with it are also characterized by soft*ness and improved mouthfeel. White and rosé wines made with FT Blanc Soft have enhanced texture with a percep*tion of sweetness on the palate. Even relatively small dosages can contribute to minerality in wines. Similar improvements can be seen in fruit and mead wines.

To Use: Add FT Blanc Soft directly on the grapes at the crusher. It can also be added to the juice or wine during a tank mixing. Good homogenization is important. If an addition of FT Blanc Soft is made post-fermentation, we recommend waiting 3-6 weeks after the tannin addition before racking, fining, filtering or bottling.

Storage: Dated expiration. Unopened the shelf life is 5 years at 18ºC(65ºF). Once opened keep tightly sealed and dry.

Recommended Dosage
WHITE/ROSÉ JUICE
50-150 ppm 5-15 g/hL 0.42-1.2 lb/1000 gal

forgot the yeast ...

Lalvin CY3079 (Bourgoblanc)® For classic white Burgundy
Lalvin CY3079 was selected by the BIVB with the objective of finding a yeast that would complement typical white Burgundy styles. CY3079 is a steady, average fermenter, especially at cold temperatures (13°C). Its fermentation finish is slow due to an early autolysis resulting in roundness. This yeast greatly benefits from using rehydration nutrients and complex yeast nutrients designed for use during fermentation. When properly fed, CY3079 has good alcohol tolerance (up to 15%) and is a low producer of VA and sulfides. It is recommended for barrel-fermented Chardonnay and sur lie aging. Chardonnays produced with CY3079 have rich, full mouthfeel and are characterized by aromas of fresh butter, almond, honey, white flowers and pineapple.

Well I ain't gonna write it! You want to do it you write it! (LOL)......

Those are all the "usual suspects" for a fresh grape fermentation only this time for the white wine variety. They all come with instructions either online or supplied. The experiment is will they work with UFP (ultra flash pasteurized) grape juice. I suspect yes to some extent. Your risk are a stuck fermentation due to low temps so caveat emptor! :>

I dont see temp tolerances on that selected yeast. Do you know them? Cool fermenting is usually done to retain the fruitiness of the wine but your really not looking for that with what you want with the buttery and oakiness IMO.

I dont see temp tolerances on that selected yeast. Do you know them? Cool fermenting is usually done to retain the fruitiness of the wine but your really not looking for that with what you want with the buttery and oakiness IMO.

the more wine site says 59 - 77 degrees.

Well I ain't gonna write it! You want to do it you write it! (LOL)......

Those are all the "usual suspects" for a fresh grape fermentation only this time for the white wine variety. They all come with instructions either online or supplied. The experiment is will they work with UFP (ultra flash pasteurized) grape juice. I suspect yes to some extent. Your risk are a stuck fermentation due to low temps so caveat emptor! :>

Funny ... not looking for a writer just some input ... I guess if it sticks I can pitch the supplied yeast and get what I get.

OK here is my $0.02. I say for $11 thats a heck of a lot of tweaks for the buck so go for it. One thing, if you don't add the raisins, whats the point of adding Lallzyme Cuvée Blanc if their are no skins to contact. So don't mess with that if you don't add the raisins I say.

Other than that, I would ferment at a higher temp than 60. 65-68. Remember the lower the temp the longer this will take to finish (the longer you will have to babysit on a daily basis) and the more you have to worry about a stuck fermentation. You are looking at 2-3 weeks to finish primary fermentation IMHO.

As always very interested in the results Rick!

OK here is my $0.02. I say for $11 thats a heck of a lot of tweaks for the buck so go for it. One thing, if you don't add the raisins, whats the point of adding Lallzyme Cuvée Blanc if their are no skins to contact. So don't mess with that if you don't add the raisins I say.

I think I will add the raisins. I just don't know the effect this will have with raisins. It's still a grape skin, right?

Other than that, I would ferment at a higher temp than 60. 65-68. Remember the lower the temp the longer this will take to finish (the longer you will have to babysit on a daily basis) and the more you have to worry about a stuck fermentation. You are looking at 2-3 weeks to finish primary fermentation IMHO.

Got it ... new target, not lower then 65

As always very interested in the results Rick!

I plan on tracking this very close and posting updates. Thanks for your input.

Its a dried skin that certainly rehydrates and plumps back up nicely. Parts is parts as they used to say!

I think I will add the raisins. I just don't know the effect this will have with raisins. It's still a grape skin, right?

First Draft ...

Starting with kit juice from MM Masters Collection Outback Chardonnay.

DAY 1

1) Add juice to primary fermentation bucket. Test Brix, SG, PH and Temperature of must. The starting temperature of the must should be 70 -75 degrees.
2) Hydrate yeast in with Go-Ferm. If Brix is less than 24.5 use 6 grams of yeast, 7.5 grams of Go-Ferm and 150 ml of water. If Brix is 25 or higher use 7.2 grams of yeast, 9 grams of Go-Ferm and 180 ml of water.
3) Let yeast stand for 15 to 20 minutes. At this point there should be some visible signs of activity.
4) Add the yeast to the must.
5) Put the primary fermentation bucket into the freezer and set temperature to 65 degrees.

DAY 2

6) After 24 hours with signs of fermentation starting add 4 grams of Fermaid-K. Mix 4 grams of Fermaid-K to 50ml of warm water. Stir till completely dissolved then add to wine.
7) Test SG.
8) Add raisins to must. Gently stir the wine.
9) Add .6 grams of Lallzyme Cuvée Blanc for its specific action on white grapes during skin-contact maceration in order to obtain high quality white wines, rich in taste with intense mouthfeel and good structure.

DAY _____ (note the day) - SG 1.060

10) At 10 degrees in Brix drop or 1/3 of the sugar is depleted add an additional 4 grams of Fermaid-K to wine. Mix 4 grams of Fermaid-K to 50ml of warm water. Stir till completely dissolved then add to wine.

DAY _____ (note the day) - SG 1.000 – 1.020

11) Add 5 grams of OptiWHITE towards the end of fermentation for smoothing and better integration of wood and alcohol.
12) Rack into carboy with lees. Leave carboy out of the freezer and let wine warm back to room temperature (70-75 degrees).

DAY _____ (note the day) - SG .996 or less, for 3 days

13) Rack into clean carboy, do not transfer lees.
14) Add the pouch marked Siligel (kit supplied) slowly to your wine and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
15) Add the pouch marked Liquigel (kit supplied) slowly to your wine and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
16) Add 3 grams Tannin FT Blanc Soft.
17) Add sulfites to raise free SO2 to proper level based off the PH of the wine.
18) Top off carboy and let clear for 2 – 3 weeks.

Next will be CS and barrel oaking.

Back