Other Kit Rose??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was curious about this Sauv Blanc Rosè after learning about how Rosè is typically made with red grapes and not white. And couldn't shake the feeling like this was "cheating" almost. Or an "alternative" I'll say, to the red skins contact time technique. And if this way was used commercially at all.
The other thing i wanted to know was exactly what varietal the vague "red juice pack" contained. And actually found a great little LHBS & supplier site who decided to put up a very detailed description of this kit.
The juice is Pinot Noir. And they go on to say that although rare this Sauv Blanc Rosè has just recently been commercially made (2012) in Germany calling it "rotgold" (red-gold). And many other countries are making the Rosè with white juice as a base.
So if anybody is reading this thread I'm assuming your curious about Rosè kits. And if your not naive like I was then hearing Sauv Blanc Rosè might have you do a double take. If so then check out this link where it's broken down.
http://www.homebrewit.com/california-sauvignon-blanc-rose-wine-making-kit-by-winexpert/
Sidenote: I'm glad I was naive. Otherwise I may have opted for a different kit. I'm at day 7 on the tail end of a nice and clean, subtle yet steady fermentation. Probably racking in a day or 2. Looks and smells amazing.

When I was doing research last year on this kit I quickly saw that it (Sauv Blanc Rose) was already pretty darn popular down under and was available commercially. As for the juice used to give color, I don't think it matters really as your not going to taste what amounts to 0.04% in your glass. Very happy that I snagged one of the last ones on closeout from one of my online sources though. As I stated in the "whats for dinner" thread" we opened up a bottle on Friday night and this wine has gotten even better and its still not even a year old. It held its own against a commercial Rose' that cost ~$13

Last edited:
I had the same reaction as you, @Ajmassa5983 . I first heard of this when I wrote to LP last year and asked them if the Aussie Grenache Rose was going to be offered again (that was a great Rose, BTW). The reply I got said no, but this one was coming out. I thought he was off his rocker. Sure enough, a few weeks later it was on the site and available for order.

This Sauv Blanc kit, fermented all the way dry, is shaping up nicely. It's nice to be able to make a rose exactly to my liking.
I jumped ahead and racked her off the gross lees and added sulfites not realizing the instructions say the opposite. Fining agents for this kit (chitosan) require sediment suspended. Not a big deal since im aging anyway but I was planning on using the chitosan. Am I able to still use it without the gross lees or would that be pointless? Luckily I saved all the sediment in a container something I almost never do.

This Sauv Blanc kit, fermented all the way dry, is shaping up nicely. It's nice to be able to make a rose exactly to my liking.
I jumped ahead and racked her off the gross lees and added sulfites not realizing the instructions say the opposite. Fining agents for this kit (chitosan) require sediment suspended. Not a big deal since im aging anyway but I was planning on using the chitosan. Am I able to still use it without the gross lees or would that be pointless? Luckily I saved all the sediment in a container something I almost never do.

I've done the same and still used the chitosan, no problems. Perhaps I was lucky.....

Am I correct to assume the reason for this is some chemical within the dropped out lees that's not present in all wine helps the agent bind better with any 'unwanted's'. Probably working better when this mystery ingredient is present and instructions prompt to suspend the lees. (Better than when not present. Not better than time)

I always rack off the lees before clearing and have never had any issues in the 3-4 years since WE changed their instructions for clearing. IMHO is more of a step saver for the brew on site stores. Once less racking means allot less work.

cheers

I always rack off the lees before clearing and have never had any issues in the 3-4 years since WE changed their instructions for clearing.
cheers

I've had recent WE kits call for both ways. Leading me to assume they obviously have a good reason for instructing to leave sediment for clearing in one while not another.
Not that this would change anything. Though I would probably still use as directed because, well why not? Unless I had a reason for racking off early like I just did. (Accidentally left bung off for 2 days. Wanted to rack and sulfite early as a failsafe)

I used a dry Rose'. You won't find any Sauv Blanc Rose thats for sure so guess you could always just use plain Sauv Blanc as well. Might lighten the color a smidgeon.

charles_charles_rose.jpg

With no real agenda, I saved the lees from the primary. I had it in a Tupperware container with a lid and then put it in glass a week later Now settled over a week later I'm wondering if lees or wine is of any good use? The color though makes me think there's something up with it. It's more orange or rusty looking even. Smells good. Also when mixing, the batch seemed to also take on an orangey tint. ImageUploadedByWine Making1491513197.763280.jpg
I've never saved and re-used lees before. Possibly top off with? Or Waste of time?

Last edited:
I just put the carboy pics in for color reference. But after mulling it over I'm thinking it's not worth using that wine above the lees for anything and risk ruining. All for maybe a bottles worth of same wine. But That color difference is a head scratcher

I just put the carboy pics in for color reference. But after mulling it over I'm thinking it's not worth using that wine above the lees for anything and risk ruining. All for maybe a bottles worth of same wine. But That color difference is a head scratcher

I think that is the right line of thinking. You could take that incredibly valuable Philadelphia Eagles shot glass and take a swig of it. I think you are better buying a Sauv blanc bottle and topping it with that and drinking any of what's left of the bottle you buy.

With no real agenda, I saved the lees from the primary. I had it in a Tupperware container with a lid and then put it in glass a week later Now settled over a week later I'm wondering if lees or wine is of any good use? The color though makes me think there's something up with it. It's more orange or rusty looking even. Smells good. Also when mixing, the batch seemed to also take on an orangey tint. View attachment 35165
I've never saved and re-used lees before. Possibly top off with? Or Waste of time?

While you can't be sure why the clear wine that separated from the lees is that color, my guess, because of the color and headspace, is that it may be oxidized, in which case, you should consider not using it in your rose' to top up. As Mike indicated above, a commercial rose' is a natural choice for topping, relatively inexpensive, and won't affect your color or taste appreciably.

One of the components of wine color retention involves binding with tannins, and rose's are very light in tannin content. We work to preserve that very light, delicate, and beautiful color in a rose', so get 'er topped up, avoid sunlight exposure, and maintain proper SO2 up until you get it into the bottle.

I actually had already picked up some dry Rosè for topping. I never initially intended to do anything with that leftover aside from tossing like usual. Which is why I wasn't particular about how it was stored.
Only after it settled did I think to pose the question. And kinda had a "duh" moment with myself regarding oxidation. Thanks for the responses. Btw John, I dove into that Wash winery article posted last night, and I'm infatuated with it. Thanks for sharing.
Go birds

I actually had already picked up some dry Rosè for topping. I never initially intended to do anything with that leftover aside from tossing like usual. Which is why I wasn't particular about how it was stored.
Only after it settled did I think to pose the question. And kinda had a "duh" moment with myself regarding oxidation. Thanks for the responses. Btw John, I dove into that Wash winery article posted last night, and I'm infatuated with it. Thanks for sharing.
Go birds

I enjoyed reading the story and the winemaking notes, glad some others found it interesting as well. Wine's a tad pricey, but I've got an urge to try some........

Latest posts

Back