TTB Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the TTB would consider an application based on a winery that has not actually been built yet? In other words, can they work from a floor plan? I've been offered free space in the basement of a large commercial building. So, I would have to build walls to create the bonded winery facility... and everything inside the walls of course. I'd rather not spend the money to build the facility and find out later that I can't get a license. Thanks.

I think the bigger question would be if the local authoities and state would accept it. You could always contact them and try to ask the question to a person.

I think the bigger question would be if the local authoities and state would accept it. You could always contact them and try to ask the question to a person.

Thanks... good idea to just call the TTB and see if they will offer an opinion.

I've talked this over with town hall and, so far, they are quite positive about it. In recent years Massachusetts has made it pretty easy to start small wineries and breweries. The state license is only $22 per year.

If I recall correctly the TTB application requires a document stating zoning has been approved. the application can be for a winery that is not complete. Plans must provide all of the details that the TTB requires. A secure bonding facility is the largest requirement aside from the money resources. If available talk to surrounding wineries with regard to their application. contacting TTB can be a bear. the process is local approval, ttb approval then state approval. the state will not normally say no if ttb says yes.

I did my TTB application without looking locally first. In Texas as long as it's not next to a school or church it's a major hassle for them to fight it. You've got the nod so don't worry too much...

I asked my potential landlord to sign an interim lease that was given to me by the TTB officer. Basically a one liner lease agreement. Don't hesitate to call them they were the easiest of the agencies to deal with.

I drew up a rough drawing using powerpoint that showed distances. All they were concerned about was where the bonded and non-bonded areas were.

You can always amend the approved application (online) if you change the design.

Its a free application so get on with it, relax and enjoy!!

I did my TTB application without looking locally first. In Texas as long as it's not next to a school or church it's a major hassle for them to fight it.

In Massachusetts, churches and schools have a right to object if they are within 500 feet. There is one church just slightly within that radius. But with other existing liquor license establishments in the area, I don't expect them to object.

Thanks. I expect I'll have many other questions.

Don't assume or expect anything. Thats where you will set yourself up for a big bust. Follow Salcoc's advice.

The TTB made me send in a footprint of the winery and designate the bonded area. I sent in the basement building plans of my basement/garage area with the entire basement noted as the bonded area.

The state requires me to privide a picture of the inside and outside of the winery production area.

where is your tasting room going to be located? your federal tax will be due on wine once it is removed from the bonded area. I used to keep inventory each day and then paid taxes at end of month. Review your state regs on the tasting room. I made an error in that Kansas allowed bottle and glass sales outside the bonded area similar to a "Beer Garden". I made the mistake of making the bonded area part of the "premises" (state word) and could not take benefit of the bottle sales although I changed the bonded area designation at the federal level. The law has since changed so not a problem. My point is do not make some decisions without checking your state reg restrictions and allowances. the actual day to day activity of the winery will be more in control of the state rather than the feds. as long as the bonded area is maintained and you pay fed taxes the feds will not bother you. the state however can be looking over your shoulder especially if someone is not in favor of your winery regardless of legal authority. not trying to make you paranoid just be aware of state regs as you go along.

Back