Cheapest Place Online to buy Wine Corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive read that synthetic corks are not long term at all and that agglomerate corks are way better. Maybe thats what he was referring to.

i am curious about the synthetics..i have never used them...i was looking for the why on why not to use them

I've yet to have a synthetic cork leak but have had an agglomerated cork leak more then once.

Now, I've always be under the impression that synthetic corks were considered better then an agglomerated especially for wines that might be stored longer then several years.:a1

Yikes, we have some differing opinions on corks. My understanding is that the synthetic corks are for up to two years and the agglomerates and natural corks are for more than two years. I would be very interested if the views of some of our mavens.

Rocky, I was under the same impression. I only use the bi-disc.

... and have you ever seen wineries store their wine on their sides that is in storage. Probably not becuse most people don't see the wineries warehouse since they are really not very exciting. Today wine can be sitting upright in cases for years with agglomerate corks but in our cellars we always strive to keep them on their sides. Do you think that corks today are much better than yesterday and with the sulfite's we use is the reason that its not such a big concern? :a1

Sybthetic corks are for short storage as mentioned above. The only good thing about them is that yoiu can store them upright like Dan mentioned. If you are using a Port corker you can have problems with them getting creases in them thus the leak like UBB mentioned. There are a few grades of agglomerate corks so not all of these are better then the synthetic ones just like natural corks. There are better grades of those also. Like we said earlier, dont cheasp out now at this point in the game or you will be very sorry. I dont go the total high end of the scale here like some of you do, just a happy medium. I use the perfect agglomerate fro FVW's and they have been working great for me for many years. I used some cheaper agglomerate when I first started and had trouble getting them in and broke many a cork screw trying to get them out!!!! These go right in and come right out no problemo!! The Bi-discs may be the best out there that we can buy.

When I was in the liquor business, we stored the cases of wine up side down to keep the corks wet. Plastic corks no problem wherever we stored them.

My comment on synthetic corks was because the wines I have used them on have not lasted as long in aging as I would have expected. I suspect that this is because my corker has plastic jaws. I think it's best to just buy high quality corks and avoid problems. Corks are graded, basicly the grade relates to the aging potential, so be aware of the grade of cork you buy.

Corks

Interesting. As a newbie I was advised by my retailer, 1 year for aglomerated corks, two years or more for solid corks, and 3 years or more for synthetic.

This retailer has won many awards, and always uses synthetic when submitting those.

To use synthetic you need a purple Floor corker, not the older orange variety that had jaws that scored these corks.

So I bought the newer purple corker, and a selection of all three cork types to experiment.

Kev

As said before there are different grades of each with maybe the exception of synth. As I can't really see one of those being much different then another.

Latest posts

Back