Slow drop in SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montyfox

Reaction score
I am making my first ever batch of wine and started with Winexperts Vitner's Reserve White Zinfandel (George's #3195).

I began in the primary on Jan. 10th with a SG of 1.072 and a temp of 68f. Its been setting in a room with constant temp of 70f (I know its a little on the cool side but I really don't have much choice). I visually checked it a couple of days later and noticed it bubbling (not a volcano or anything, but bubbing nicely).

I checked it today, Jan. 16 and it is still bubbling but the SG is only 1.022 with a temp of 68f. I'm looking for a SG of 1.010 or less before I transfer to the carboy. Can someone tell me if everything is ok and its just going to take a little longer due to lower temps?

Also, I'm not really wild about the floating thermometer. I let it set in the primary for about 5 minutes and it never moved off of 40f. However, when I checked with a pyrex digital thermometer, it reads 68f. I checked the digital in a glass containing crushed ice and water and it read 33f so I'm guessing its reading liquids ok.

Any suggestions?

Monty

No suggestions since everything sounds fine! I also keep my fermentation area at 70F and typically do the transfer to a carboy on day 7.

Relax and don't worry as the fermentation is progressingfine for the area temperature.

Edited by: masta

HI MONTYFOX,sounds like your on your way,let it take its time
smiley20.gif

Hey Monty,

I recently fermented a Sauv Blanc and a Viognier at temps between 60-65, and everything turned out great. It did take a bit longer, but not much.

Careful with temp during the clearing stage. Ileft my carboy of WE Viognierin the garageafter degassing/stabilization.The clarifier, isinglass,didn't workuntil I brought it back indoors.

Ken

Edited by: K&GB

Latest posts

Back