Fining Agents

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I'm at the point on my Winery Series Amarone where it calls for Kieselsol and Chitosan.....I plan on aging this wine for 1.5 years min. in the carboy....Can I leave those ingredients out and just let it clear on its own? Do they have any flavor effect on the wine at all?

Thx

I don't know about RJ Spagnols, but Mosti Mondiale on their website recommend that if you plan to bulk age you should hold off on the fining agents until 7-10 days before filtering & bottling. They also recommend several rackings to keep the wine as clear as possible. I've read elsewhere in this forum that some people let time do its thing without the chemicals.

As something to consider, I read in the wine maker magazine's special wine kit addition that after long bulk aging, if you do decide to clarify anyway, to not use as much of the clearing agents. I guess that does make sense, although it might be hard to split some of those small vials of clearing agent.

If you add to much Potassium Metabisulfite it can

Latest posts

Back