Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > RJ Spagnols RJS 2017 RQ1 Cabernet Sauvignon

Old 04-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
tjgaul

Oct 2016
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Paul,

It does have a slight amount of sweetness to it and I have to say that I like it. If it dries out some more that would be fine.

Yes - hydrometer to measure SG and I usually take a temp at the same time to correct for variance.

You are correct on the instructions. I use either a Big Mouth Bubbler or the Fermonster with airlock for primary. Since I usually leave the wine in the primary longer than required and get to a fully dry SG reading I tend to go ahead and add the stabilizers and clarifiers right after racking to the carboy, although the instructions are generally as you described. If I rack at SG at or above 1.00 then I will definitely wait a week or more before putting in the additives.

While I am kicking myself for not following protocol and taking an SG at what I thought was the end of primary fermentation, I am happy that the wine tastes good and has plenty of time to sit in the carboy. I would expect to see some renewed fermentation as the basement warms up this summer and the sulphites disseminate.

Tim

Old 05-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015
Liked 640 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The campaign for judge ended... not in my favor. But, on the bright side, I can finally kick off my RQ French Cab.

Will probably drop yeast tomorrow morning after letting the dried grape skins soak overnight.

This is a first time for me working with dried skins. So, any tips would be appreciated.

If wine is life; and, life is about the journey (not the destination); the greatest joy in wine is found along the way.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
Brian55

Jul 2014
Liked 175 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmann67 View Post
The campaign for judge ended... not in my favor. But, on the bright side, I can finally kick off my RQ French Cab.

Will probably drop yeast tomorrow morning after letting the dried grape skins soak overnight.

This is a first time for me working with dried skins. So, any tips would be appreciated.
I've always treated them the same as the gooey skin kits with excellent results. Drop them into the bag with your oak chips. Much easier than dealing with a bag full of grape jam. I miss the old RJ's kits with the plastic containers, nice and easy to add to the bag, and simply rinse out with water.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #14
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015

My OG is 1.100 so I dropped the RC212 tonight and will leave it be a day or so. Smells excellent.

If wine is life; and, life is about the journey (not the destination); the greatest joy in wine is found along the way.

People Like This 
Old 05-20-2017, 04:30 AM   #15
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 4000 Times on 2424 Posts
Likes Given: 6816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmann67 View Post

Sorry to hear that, Jim. But as you say, there is a bright side. As was already said, just dump 'em in the bag.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Old 05-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #16
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015

The wine is a good 72*. No change in the SG (was hoping it would go up a bit overnight). Dropped the dried skins and oak chips in the bag. I'll do oak cubes (Fr medium+) in finishing.

I'm considering the possibility of doing a 50/50 blend with the RQ French Merlot.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 PM   #17
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015

It's been a few days now. My SG is about 1.030+/-. Still a few days from racking. I may rack to a carboy on Friday evening depending on where we are gravity-wise.

Old Today, 04:19 AM   #18
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015

Dropping slowly at this point. Not a lot of activity. I may brewbelt it. Going away this weekend and don't really want to leave it go the extra days.

SG this morning was 1.020.