Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > rose petal wine

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
intoxicating

Jul 2008

A couple of years ago I put rose petals in a gallon of Chardonnay. I could barely smell it, so at bottling I added a teaspoon of rose flavoring from the middle eastern spice store. I could just barely smell the roses, and no off taste. After six months I opened a bottle and it jumped out and slapped me. The fragrance of roses would knock you over at six feet and it tasted like getting sprayed in the mouth with perfume.

Any one know anything about how rose wine ages? Will the bitter age out, or do I need to dilute it with gallons of sweet red wine? My son insists there are no bad ingredients, only bad chefs, but this is the closest to unable to save I have encountered in four years of tinkering with non-grape country wines. I am afraid to open a bottle, it is nearly two years old now, and in the first year the rose kept getting stronger and more bitter.

No need to agonize about me throwing out drinkable alcohol. I can use it to flavor pastries, jelly, and syrup. It is a potent flavoring. But is there a chance it may become drinkable as wine?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
vcasey

Apr 2007
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd give it a taste - who knows it may surprise you. If its still not to your liking will there is always the pastries, jelly & syrup.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
MissDian

May 2017

I agree. Everything I have read says it must age about two years to be drinkable. Taste and see. I may have mellowed out since your last check. If not, rose extrait, rose absolute, you may have a home in the skin care market. Don't doubt. Take a stroll by the Dior counter in your local mall. Everything in the range smells of rose cabins...plain old dog rose.