Why is nothing happening....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pretty bummed. Waited over 24 hours after kmeta to pitch yeast. 71b rehydrated in a cup of water for 20 minutes. 24 hours later absolutely nothing is happening... That was a lot of work for nothing....

71B tends to be for country wines IE, FRUITS AND BERRIES, I use 71B rarely, but it tends to be a soft starter for me, but really brings out my fruit flavors, as well I use a lot of EC1118, I add my k-meta and what every I need to kill wild yeasts an so on, the people above will forget more than I can hope to learn, I've been told many times to get yeast started in a separate jar, then blend in slowly your must into a jar containing yeast soup, I heard that works good. as for me I stir with a drill day one when I ad my additives to kill wild yeast 24 hours later I stir my must till it is all but solid foam, at this point I pour my dry yeast all over the foam, no pre-making a yeast culture , just pour straight dry yeast into my must, I take my SQ and raise to what I wish, then I stir daily whipping in as much oxygen as I cam, keep reading SG everyday till you get below a SG reading of .999 or les at that time I transfer to carboy an airlock, oxygen great for wine while your fermenting, but once you reach .999 or lower from then own oxygen is wines enemy sorry got carried away, I am for a long slow ferment, I take it you have already have added sugar to raise your SG high enough to feed your yeast as well as yeast neutralizer,( yeast food ).. now and then 71B stalls on me so I then dump EC1118 inti my must REMEMBER stir very well every day of fermentation clear down to .999 I like sweet an semi-sweet. so my beginning SG from 1.030 to 1.040, after running your must dry I then ad sorbet as by what the package label says, after adding my sorbet I then back sweeten till it fits my personal taste, best of luck to you, I am interested in learning how you wine cones out

Dawg::

Last edited:
I've had some batches take off in just a few hours and some take 2-3 days. I think yeast kicks in when it's darn good and ready. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a starter or just sprinkled on top either. Any yeast experts here to explain why some take off like a rabbit, and some like a snail?

Last edited:
Ha fair enough. I started with a out 1.085 SG. Added yeast nutrient. I just hope I didn't mess something up and ruin all that work. Hope it didn't stall before it started or the kmeta wasn't gone and kill the 71b.

Yeah it's strange I had no idea it could take that long. In all the ferments I did I was always amazed at how quick it stated. Couple hours later in front of my eyes boiling away. But that was bakers yeast and very simple alcohol water ferments. Not fruit wine.

what are you making? Some fruits take a little longer that others. If should be going within two days.

I was in your shoes last week. I did the same thing with the same yeast and I waited... And waited... And waited... Full blown fermentation started in 72 hours!!!! Give it time, it'll get there.

I was in your shoes last week. I did the same thing with the same yeast and I waited... And waited... And waited... Full blown fermentation started in 72 hours!!!! Give it time, it'll get there.

Not sure exactly when it started as I was gone for the weekend but it's going strong. Almost time to rack

Latest posts

Back