making a fpac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zesting for fun and flavor continued

don't forget the addition in some wines of fruit zest can create a sensual bite to the finish especially whites that seamed to finish out flat. Learn how and when to apply extracts and Zesting to increase your skills in wine making.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Zesting for fun and flavor continued

excellent for making cellos also..follow the f

Making Extracts

All recipes are measured out with one quart Ball Jar.

Citrus Extract: Consists of The zest of 2 limes, the zest of 2 lemons, and the zest of 2 grapefruits, and the remainder is ever Kleer.
Coffee Extract: fill Ball jar up with roasted coffee beans (your choice), fill the balance of the Ball jar with Ever Kleer.
Cinnemon Extract- ~approx. 12 sticks per Ball jar, top up with Ever Kleer
Lemon extract- The Zest of 12 lemons per jar, top up with Ever Kleer
Orange extract: The zest of approx.. 8 oranges per jar. Valenzia oranges work best but any type will do.
Key Lime Extract: 1 bag of key limes with the limes cut in half.
Vanilla Extract: 6 Madagascar Vanilla Beans, sliced length wise. Put all 6 in a ball jar and top off with Ever Kleer.
At the end of one full year its best to pour the extract through some sort of filter (I strain mine through a coffee filter) and add some additional zest of the same type back to it and top it off with Ever Kleer.

Making Simple Syrup

Basic mix consists of : 2 qt. ball jars of cane sugar to 1 qt. ball jar of water.
Process:
Place measured out sugar into a metal pot. Add the water to the mix (It’s a 2 to 1 ratio-mix). Bring the mixture to a boil, constantly stirring from the beginning of the process to the end until the liquid is clear. Have the ball jars already sanitized and ready for filling. Bring the simple syrup TO the jar and and funnel it into them (make sure your funnel is clean, too!) to fill them up. It will be hot so be very careful. Place the lids and metal rings onto the jars to seal them.
Note: we put the very hot liquid into the jars while it is hot so as it cools it creates a vacuum seal to keep the mixture good. Done this way, your simple syrup will have a very long shelf life.

Zesting Made Simple

Zesting is the process of the removal of the color of most citrus fruits and other entities that are oil extracted (for their essence). We use a micro plane zester to accomplish our end. See pictures. (If you do not have a micro plane zester you can use a fine cheese grater (Your goal is to get the color off the fruit, not the pitch, which is the “white stuff” underneath the very top layer of the fruit.)

low...:HB

11.jpg

12.jpg

P1030104.jpg

P1030113.jpg

P1030114.jpg

Simple syrup a key tool

Simple syrup

simple syrup is a key component in wine making weather your boosting the alcohol level or doing a capitalizations process (same thing) or just back sweetening at the finish ,simple syrup is fundamentally a more assured way to go and the process is simple this is a tool every wine maker should have available in his or hers tool box.
To make Simple Syrup We use Pure Can Sugar Only.
Simple syrup is a 2 to 1 blend (2 parts sugar, 1 part water)
We use ball jars as a measuring device because that is what I store it in.
So, this batch was 4-to-2 blend. (4 ball jars sugar, 2 ball jars water)
which equates to 4 full ball jars of simple syrup ready to use anytime.

First:
-Measure out sugar to water ratio.
-Next, add sugar to a large metal pot.
-Now is a good time to take the ball jars and place them in the sink in a tray and have your lids ready and your hot mittens (cooking gloves, whatever you call them!)
-Make a well in the center, then dump the water into the well and stir until blended (not disolved yet.)
-Next, turn the heat up to high. Stirring frequently until you see it start to clear a little with a light foam on top. Once you see this, you want to stir it constantly. It will go from simmer to rapid boil almost instantly when it's ready to go. Continue to stir, being careful to NOT GET ANY ON YOU! It will take your skin off, it's very HOT!
-With a metal spoon you should see through the simple syrup just like water, it will be clear. You will know you are done when this happens. (It will be at a hard boil when this happens.)
-You should already have your ball jars clean and ready to go. I place mine in a tin tray in the sink and fill the tray half way up w/ water. I place a wide mouth funnel inside the jars and take the boiling hot simple syrup and CAREFULLY fill the ball jars. Use your mitten and put the lids and rings on the jars and tighten them up. Turn the cold water on them and allow it to run in the tray. The process of the water cooling down the simple syrup will cause a vacuum in the jars and you will hear a "POP!". This will seal your ball jars and by the morning they will be cool and ready for you to handle. This simple syrup will stay good indefinitely.

This is how I make simple syrup. Another tool in the toolbox.

1.jpg

2 - Copy.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Not always do you need a lot of fruit to incorporate its background flavor into a wines structure usually 16 ozs, per 6 gallons is good ,this is how I do it.

1 rinse berries - Copy (2).jpg

2 add to the pan - Copy (2).jpg

3 add juice - Copy (2).jpg

4 change colors - Copy (2).jpg

5 add a lid for a few mins - Copy (2).jpg

6 change colors and smoosh - Copy (2).jpg

7 more cooked down - Copy (2).jpg

8 finished f pak - Copy (2).jpg

9  Add to bag - Copy (2).jpg

Simple syrup a key tool

A partner in wine making..
Simple syrup

simple syrup is a key component in wine making weather your boosting the alcohol level or doing a capitalizations process (same thing) or just back sweetening at the finish ,simple syrup is fundamentally a more assured way to go and the process is simple this is a tool every wine maker should have available in his or hers tool box.
To make Simple Syrup We use Pure Can Sugar Only.
Simple syrup is a 2 to 1 blend (2 parts sugar, 1 part water)
We use ball jars as a measuring device because that is what I store it in.
So, this batch was 4-to-2 blend. (4 ball jars sugar, 2 ball jars water)
which equates to 4 full ball jars of simple syrup ready to use anytime.

First:
-Measure out sugar to water ratio.
-Next, add sugar to a large metal pot.
-Now is a good time to take the ball jars and place them in the sink in a tray and have your lids ready and your hot mittens (cooking gloves, whatever you call them!)
-Make a well in the center, then dump the water into the well and stir until blended (not disolved yet.)
-Next, turn the heat up to high. Stirring frequently until you see it start to clear a little with a light foam on top. Once you see this, you want to stir it constantly. It will go from simmer to rapid boil almost instantly when it's ready to go. Continue to stir, being careful to NOT GET ANY ON YOU! It will take your skin off, it's very HOT!
-With a metal spoon you should see through the simple syrup just like water, it will be clear. You will know you are done when this happens. (It will be at a hard boil when this happens.)
-You should already have your ball jars clean and ready to go. I place mine in a tin tray in the sink and fill the tray half way up w/ water. I place a wide mouth funnel inside the jars and take the boiling hot simple syrup and CAREFULLY fill the ball jars. Use your mitten and put the lids and rings on the jars and tighten them up. Turn the cold water on them and allow it to run in the tray. The process of the water cooling down the simple syrup will cause a vacuum in the jars and you will hear a "POP!". This will seal your ball jars and by the morning they will be cool and ready for you to handle. This simple syrup will stay good indefinitely.

This is how I make simple syrup. Another tool in the toolbox.

1.jpg

2 - Copy.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

So when you make the syrup you do not use the boil bath method.

Ok when i can like to saw pickles or tomotoes i use a hot water bath method to seal and prepare food for storage would this work for the simple syrup for longer storage i never tryed the cold water way. Thanks

The. Principal is the same as the water cools the quat jars iit creats a vacuum in the jar,if I stated that correctly.

Great thread Joe.

Adding grapes to a grape concentrate must or making an fpac and then adding? What are the ups/downs of each?

Good to hear from you, if you break down what your asking then yes to all the above. Remember this is just my way, :ibif I have a concentrate that is my base, I would add the fpac in the primary as a blending agent, if I wanted it to be a background enhancement then in the secondary. The key is to know the base wines taste profile and then take it from there. Fang is that clear enough?
The ups and downs???Balance always keep balance and control of the acidity and the abv...BALANCE,sometime it requires a little more work with the fpacs but in the bigger picture the flavor profile will be better as well as the body of the wine and it doesn't take that much to do the work 16ozs. per 5/6 gallons and your home.:h have an adventure in wine making and be creative, THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX...........:db

Thanks for the reply Joe.

I am looking to add the grapes to improve mouth feel.

What is your opinion on the difference between simply adding crushed grapes, and making an fpac?

Assume adding to primary.

Fpacs

There fun and rewarding ,trying different things makes this craft fun and enjoyable, go a head MAKE A FPAC..................................:db

2.jpg

15.jpg

1 rinse berries - Copy (2).jpg

5 add a lid for a few mins.jpg

IMG_20140828_153241482 - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20140828_155701685 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20141023_155351280 - Copy (2).jpg

IMG_20141023_155518703 - Copy - Copy.jpg

IMG_20141029_190730038.jpg

11b.jpg

this one is for the after dinner or desert for lunch follow.
Espresso Cello
What we used:
9 cups espresso (this is your base) (1 ball jar)
½ ball jar simple syrup
½ ball jar coffee bean extract
½ cup everclear

What to do:
Add your base (all the espresso, dump in the pot.)
Next , add the coffee bean extract (little at a time, to taste).
Then, add simple syrup to taste, a little at a time.
The, taste to see if the alch. Is good. Most likely, it will need more.
Add everclear to taste, make sure to not put too much that it overpowers.
Once you are happy with the results, pour back into (2) clean ball jars and put the lids back on. It should sit a day or so to blend. Then you are ready for bottling.

e flow.

1 Our Espresso base.jpg

2 add coffee bean extract slowly.jpg

3 don't add the beans.jpg

4 stir up good.jpg

5 add a little more extract to taste.jpg

6 then add simple syrup to taste.jpg

7add more everclear to taste.jpg

IMG_20141010_143748806_HDR.jpg

straightening up the freezer getting ready for deer season....found a couple bags of long frozen bags of blueberries....making my first FPac...gonna add it to a batch of jam & jelly wine...IF I don't smear it on bread and eat it all first...this stuff tastes great!

Latest posts

Back