When to blend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexchaskell

ApogeeFan
Reaction score
I am new to the whole wine making thing. Specifically, I have not made my first batch. I am more of a fan of blends rather than 100% wines. The question I have, amongst many others, is when to blend the varietals. Do I ferment each varietal separately and then mix them just before bottling, or do I mix the juices and then ferment? Depending on the answer to that question will determine what type of wine I make first. I was going to start with either a 100% chardonnay, or do a 60% Chardonnay 20%Semillon 20% Sav Blanc blend. I would rather start with white then red because I want them to be able to be ready for mid summer 2011 and white goes better with all the fish we eat here in Seattle in the summer. If the process for white is different then the process for red please let me know too. Sorry if I sound stupid guys but I am very new to this. Thanks

welcome alex!!
i was in your position just 3-4 short months ago.
i now have wine aging and fermenting. everything i've learned and read this summer indicates to make them seperately. there is lots of expert advise here...lots of experience. they have helped and encouraged me. can't wait to hear about your adventures!

I'm planning on doing my first blend, a meritage, this season. My understanding is that you ferment the wines individually and blend them before bulk aging.

Yes you would blend them just before bottling. The only exception was my Shiraz-Cabernet. I did a 50-50 blend after fermentation and let it bulk age for a year. It's fantastic.

Get yourself a good beaker with incriments for measuring. Do small test samples blending then samples with any sugar if backsweetening. Many of my wines need just a small amount of sugar to really bring out the flavor of the grapes.

I have approx. 10-12 blends currently in the works. Looking for a few that are very enjoyable.

Some wineries will blend several years of a wine to keep the taste the same year after year.

I prefer blends, also.

You can blend it before fermentation or after stabilizing and fining.

However, the latter has an advantage. You can sit down with each wine in front of you and in a bench test, try as many different combinations as you want. You can even make a party out of it with your friends. When you find the one you (all) like best, you can blend the whole batch exactly that way.

Just be mindful that sometimes a blend has to rest for a day or two before it is at its best, so when you find the one you like best, let it rest for awhile before you make your final judgment.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back