Elderberry juneberry blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forager

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I've got some leftover fruit in my freezer, not enough individually to make a batch, but enough as a whole to hopefully make a gallon. Does anyone have any experience mixing these fruits together for winemaking? From what I've read, elderberry needs diluting with water (3-4 lbs/gallon), while with juneberry you should try to get close to pure juice if possible (8-10 lbs/gallon). Not sure with blueberries. Anyway I've got:

3.5 lbs of juneberries
1 lb of blueberries
500 ml of elderberry syrup (undiluted)

Any advice on what I'll need for sugar, acid, etc.? And if I'm too far over/under for a one gallon batch of wine?

Blueberries are good IMHO around 6# per gallon, otherwise you run into fermentation trouble and acid trouble.

I've been considering an "estate" quadberry wine like this with elderberry, blackberry, juneberry, and jostaberry.

I think what you have here would make a decent gallon. You have ~1 pound or so of elderberries, they will add some tannin and color but they will lack acid. You make up the acid with the blueberries and possibly juneberries. Total fruit in the range of 5.5# with a majority of it juneberry. You will need to add sugar, I'd just go by the initial hydrometer readings. Hard to say on the acid - you might end up under, but on the other hand you might be over if the juneberries are on the acidic side.

Thanks Stressbaby! I'll post updates here as it progresses, hoping for the best. Sounds like I might need to consider adding a bit of acid then, I don't think juneberries are known for being very acidic.

Would be interested to hear how your quadberry wine turns out! Do you grow those four berries yourself?

Thanks Stressbaby! I'll post updates here as it progresses, hoping for the best. Sounds like I might need to consider adding a bit of acid then, I don't think juneberries are known for being very acidic.

Would be interested to hear how your quadberry wine turns out! Do you grow those four berries yourself?

Yes, also haskaps, but I really haven't gotten enough from the jostaberries and haskaps to make wine from them yet.

Latest posts

Back