Houston, we have a small problem...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drainsurgeon

Reaction score
Well, after bottling my first Dragon Blood yesterday (also my first non kit wine) I have been collecting supplies, ordered my Brute on Wed, ordered and received my Allinone last week (it works BETTER than everyone raves about), I just couldn't wait to start my next batch. So I did. Tropical blend (I am calling Mad Mango) with 4# Mangos, 4# peaches, 3# bag of tropical blend from Wally World, 3 cans of Pineapple slices and 5 bananas. All was going well....till I added the fruit. Topped up to 6 gallons before the fruit, the 7 1/2 gallon primary is about to burst. In fact, I had to draw off about 1/2 gallon of the juice to fit the bananas in. I'm about 1/2" from the top. I know I was told (here) that a larger primary was the answer and that I should have waited a few days....but....here I am (stuck in the middle with you) :h . I just checked with Amazon and the soonest my Brute would arrive would be Tuesday, 3 days from now. There is no way I can pitch the yeast tomorrow night with the primary this high. Should I draw off another 1/2 gallon or so and proceed, and throw everything into the Brute along with the surplus must when it arrives? The recipe warns that this thing can drop like a rock so the yeast party might be over by the time the Big Guy arrives. I do have another primary. Should I just split it in two? Not quite sure what to do. (I know I know, patience....should have waited) Advice please.

Pull what you need out, bag it and refrigerate it until the other Primary arrives.

Hi Mike, you mean bag and refrigerate the fruit? What about the Juice? I has all the goodies in there already (pectin, nutrient, energizer) Can that just sit on the counter for a few days? Or bottle and refrigerate that too. Will I need to re-add anything?

Try and get a little of everything best you can. Stir well beforehand then scoop it out. Use whatever you have that is the most efficient to put it into. Don't let it sit on the counter.

Draw off enough to give you at least 1 gallon of headspace. 1.5 to 2 gallons would be better. Store that in the fridge.

Pitch the yeast. Stir twice a day to release co2. When the SG gets down to 1.020, add back in 1/2 gallon increments (wait 1/2 day between additions). By then, the risk of a volcano is substantially reduced, and the 1/2 gallon does not give it much sugar to cause much foaming. 1/2 gallon of cold juice also minimizes the temperature shock to the yeast.

When the Brute comes, you can pour it all into that.

Draw off enough to give you at least 1 gallon of headspace. 1.5 to 2 gallons would be better. Store that in the fridge.

Pitch the yeast. Stir twice a day to release co2. When the SG gets down to 1.020, add back in 1/2 gallon increments (wait 1/2 day between additions). By then, the risk of a volcano is substantially reduced, and the 1/2 gallon does not give it much sugar to cause much foaming. 1/2 gallon of cold juice also minimizes the temperature shock to the yeast.

When the Brute comes, you can pour it all into that.

Thats the answer I was looking for LOL. I really wanted to proceed some how so this looks like a good way to gol Thanks for the tip!:db

What richmke said. Hopefully it won't go dry in 3 days, but if so, just take some lees and start another batch and combine when that completes.

What richmke said. Hopefully it won't go dry in 3 days, but if so, just take some lees and start another batch and combine when that completes.

Actually, I planned on doing that anyway. My next batch is going to be a Cranberry Lime version of Skeeter Pee and that recipe starts with a yeast slurry.

So many wines, so few carboys....:h

Back