making labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldnut

Reaction score
I need help making labels. Can someone point me to a site that is user friendly?

You could try Avery templates... You need to be careful as if you download their templates you can find that you have added the search engine "Ask" to your desktop and although "Ask" is not malware it can interpose itself as your default search engine - and can be a brute to remove.

While the user friendly sites are certainly easy to use and simple.

I highly recommend what I did myself and that was take the time to teach myself how to use a graphics design program. There are some open source free ones out there that are great. I use Gimp which is very close to Photoshop. This is a free program. It definitely has a pretty big and sometimes frustrating learning curve. Lots of googling, youtubing, and learning from mistakes. But once you get the hang of it the usefulness is overwhelming. I hand made our bottle labels and it is great being able to adjust the smallest details to my needs. I also have made carboy and cellar rack tags/labels with this with my own logo with is fun.

thelabelry.com is a really neat site i found that actually lets you download a lower resolution label for free. You can get a higher res. for 5 bucks or they'll print for 20 bucks. pretty good deal based on what I've found around the inter webs

you can use download.com to install a label making program , then you can get different
label sheets from Walmart, after to get your borders set, and so one I think mine has 2 or 3 different types f labels a sheet holding 6 peel an stick labels work great, a smaller size sheet will have 8 to ten labels for your back labels, now here's the trick, let the ink dry on your sheets then get some spray can varnish or spray can poly, set all your sheets on a sheet of ply wood, spread out the full sheets already printed out, give all the sheets a light coat of either varnish or polyurethane after letting these sheet dry fully give then the second coat, after letting this dry, your all but done, then you pull off the little edges that makes it much better ,,,,

There are many programs out there but I have found that by the time to count the cost of the labels and the ink in your printer, you are just as cheap to design them yourself and have the company's print them and mail them.
Uprint.com is who I have used in the past.

I use Avery labels and search the Internet for interesting images, copy, save to pictures, and then import and place on the Avery label...I use the Avery software. I hate computer crap and this is pretty easy even for me! Do the Text boxes and get them where you want them, import the image and adjust it's placement, "print" actually save as a pdf back to Pictures, and then open up and actually print. I can do it in about 10 minutes with very few cuss words involved.

labels are part of the fun in my book.

FYI.
Onlinelabels.com sells blank wine labels that become waterproof after you print them in your inkjet printer.
I design my labels using photography software (Zoner Photo Studio), then upload the design to Onlinelabels.com. From Onlinelabels you can send full sheets of labels to your printer using their "Maestro Label Designer".

I just make my own in whatever picture editing software and print them off on sticker paper from my printer. Once you test print the label on regular paper and get it to the size you want it, open the label in Microsoft Word, remove the margins and put 4 labels per page and just print it on the sticker paper.

I also use the Avery method that Mismost referenced. But instead of printing at home, I go 3 miles to Staples and deplete their self serve color printer ink for 60 cents/page. Usually 9 labels per page, so 3 or 4 pages. PDFs on a thumb drive.

Monty,

I get label material from onlinelabels.com too, and use Microsoft Visio for the designing.

The OL500 are 4"x3" (6 labels per sheet)
The WG option is White Glossy for Inkjet (100 sheets for $50)
The WI option is White Glossy Weatherproof (100 sheets for $100)
WI is twice the price, but the finish on it makes an exceptionally beautiful label.

Both require setting the printer as Photo Paper.

I use an CISS ink flow system on an Epson printer to keep the ink cost low
Do a Google search. Also on Amazon and Ebay

*** Wising everyone to stay safe and healthy! ****

I use MS Office Publisher to design the label and then print in my OfficeJet printer using Avery Shipping Label 3 1/3 x 4" (6 per page). Simple and cost effective.

since i posted last i have went to Avery, you use their templates for free as long as you buy their blank label sheets, they will print, or you can print, it now cost me less than a third from what i was paying a guy to print then mail to me, and now when i want a label, wither it's 6 or 60, in just minutes,,, 3 1/3 by 4 inch labels ,,,, A 100 sheets is around $25, so that's 600 labels, just keep extra toner/ink
Dawg

Latest posts

Back