Taking Wine On An Airplane

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertumnus

Reaction score
I'm supposed to go to a wedding next month in Arizona (I'm in WA) and now that the wedding party heard of my wine-making, they're eager for me to bring down a couple cases. I was planning on my blackberry/banana/mango DB. Anyways, I need to know the logistics/legality/etc. of bringing homemade wine through checked baggage. Do I need to worry about the pressure changes blowing corks? How much should I cushion the bottles? Do I risk confiscation?

Any info would be appreciated! :hug

The only way is to check it as luggage. You need to get a couple of Fedex or UPS case shippers to ensure they arrive in tack. Corks will be just fine. When asked just tell them its wine in an approved shipper. You will need to sign a release as they will not be liable for damage. I fly SWA all the time with a case and they have never lost it or damaged it in any way. Shipping it early may also an option depending on if you pay extra for shipped baggage.

taking-wine-airplane-

Hi Vertumnus,
I would call the the particular airline that you are flying and ask some very factual questions.

I do not dispute what "Ibiglowin" is saying but because of obvious concerns. I think one of the key words that "Ibglowin" has stated is "...wine in an approved shipper."

I would hate for your wine to be confiscated because of some TSA screening.

I would call the airline and ask questions.
I hope it all goes well!
Corinth

Last edited:
I fly several times a year on SWA with as much as a full case of my wine.

They ask what is in the box? I say wine.

They ask how is it packaged? I say In a Fedex wine shipper.

They say we are not responsible for damage. I say no problems.

I sign the release form and they put the tag on the bag and I am on my way.

I have never once been asked if the wine was "home made" or "commercial'.

They only want to know what it is and if it is packaged properly. They have opened the box on occasion but that was back closer to 9/11. Have not even had TSA open one in the last 2 years now. Used to always have a TSA love note (inspection form) inside but not for a long time.

Southwest Airlines - two bags get checked free. One for my luggage and one for the case of wine I bring home from the vineyards in Northern California- every month for years

Here is a link to the TSA website on checked alcohol. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/alcoholic-beverages

I've always written the approximate %abv on my homemade labels estimated from starting brix, or from infusion extracts (lemoncello) and not had an issue. I've also always used cardboard or styrofoam shippers for checked luggage. I would definitely not use a retailers cardboard box. If your not comfortable dropping the box full of wine from 3ft onto a concrete floor, then don't consider it for checked luggage.

Cheers!

I normally always take 2 bottles of my own wine with me when I travel. Have taken it as far as Bora Bora with no issues. I bubble wrap the bottle, then put inside a piece of black drain tile(black corrugated type tubing) and tape the ends. Don't know if it helps, but I tape a piece of paper onto the tube with "merlot wine", "cherry wine", etc.
I often wondered what TSA thinks when they see them, because they look like what could be mistaken as mini bombs. They have always arrived unopened and safe and sound.
I just repack the empty drain tile and bring it back with me for another trip.

The only way is to check it as luggage. You need to get a couple of Fedex or UPS case shippers to ensure they arrive in tack. Corks will be just fine. When asked just tell them its wine in an approved shipper. You will need to sign a release as they will not be liable for damage. I fly SWA all the time with a case and they have never lost it or damaged it in any way. Shipping it early may also an option depending on if you pay extra for shipped baggage.

This is exactly what to do. I do it all the time, I have actually just bubble wrapped the wine in a case and checked it through as luggage telling them it is wine.

The only way is to check it as luggage. You need to get a couple of Fedex or UPS case shippers to ensure they arrive in tack. Corks will be just fine. When asked just tell them its wine in an approved shipper. You will need to sign a release as they will not be liable for damage. I fly SWA all the time with a case and they have never lost it or damaged it in any way. Shipping it early may also an option depending on if you pay extra for shipped baggage.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what to do. I do it all the time, I have actually just bubble wrapped the wine in a case and checked it through as luggage telling them it is wine.

Back