Grape pack vs F-pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgift

Reaction score
What is the difference between an f pack and a grape pack? I understand the value of fermenting on the grape skins but what does the f-pack do and why is it added after primary and secondary fermentation?

Hope this helps some...

I've done 3 RJS WS kits (Wash. Merlot, Cab. Sav. & Super Tuscasn) that came with Grape Skin packs. Skins went in with primary and were pulled out @ SG 1.020 (new instructions have you pulling them out @ 1.000). I've done 2 lower end RJS kits that came with f-packs. F-packs were put in at at the stabilizing and clearing phase, after the stab. agents and before the clearing agents - all within minutes of each other. The f-packs were for a California Muscat and a White Zinfandel. The f-packs in the kits served to both flavor and back sweeten.

Thanks, makes sense and the f-pack was for my fourth kit a White Zin. that says its off dry.

F-packs are usually used post fermentation and stabilization to sweeten and sometimes flavour the wine. There are three types of F-packs in the wine kit world. For a mist wine (eg Blackberry Merlot), the F-pack contains the fruit flavouring and the sweetening. For an off-dry wine (eg zinfandel blush), the F-pack just contains sweetener. For specialty wines (eq port, sherry, ice wine), depending on the manufacturer, there can be multiple packages to add, some with flavouring, the rest with sweetening.

Steve

Back