Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
Okay, I haven't been around for a while. What's the latest on grape skins? A couple of years ago you were able to buy them---and then you couldn't. Are there any places that sell the skins by themselves?

Most of the distributors have gotten away from selling the skins, people were buying cheaper kits and adding the skins and not buying the more better more expensive kits.

I wanted some grape skins for use in my juice buckets, but a diligent search today came up with nothing. I tried M&M, but can't seem to get them to answer their phone. :m

Anyone else had any luck lately?

If I can't get any skin packs, does anyone know a source for wine grapes this time of year? I could just make my own packs. It would need to be packages without yeast added, of course.

Edit: I see upon searching that Midwest Supply has "frozen wine grapes". Is this a good bet? Anyone?

Last edited:
If I can't get any skin packs, does anyone know a source for wine grapes this time of year? I could just make my own packs. It would need to be packages without yeast added, of course.

Edit: I see upon searching that Midwest Supply has "frozen wine grapes". Is this a good bet? Anyone?

Yes! I have a ~50lb bucket of frozen Italian Merlot must in my freezer awaiting my chilean juice. Final total was ~$70 delivered to my door. Bucket was frozen solid still. Bucket says the grapes are from the 2011 season.

14353d1394590265-wisconsin-where-get-chilean-juice-buckets-1394590262911.jpg

14354d1394590279-wisconsin-where-get-chilean-juice-buckets-1394590277389.jpg

14355d1394590293-wisconsin-where-get-chilean-juice-buckets-1394590291615.jpg

Last edited:

I have been impressed with the products available from Wine Grapes Direct.

The service is outstanding.

Yes! I have a ~50lb bucket of frozen Italian Merlot must in my freezer awaiting my chilean juice. Final total was ~$70 delivered to my door. Bucket was frozen solid still. Bucket says the grapes are from the 2011 season.

I went ahead and ordered a Merlot and a Cab Sauv to keep on hand for the Spring and Fall juice seasons.

Thanks you for the approval!

No problem. My plan is to coferment all the merlot with 12 gallons of carmenere. Are you thinking of divvying it up across batches through out the year?

I've got five Chilean reds coming. I'm going to mix and match (skins and juice), blend and mix my little heart out. I'm excited!

I'll package what I don't use back into the freezer (in smaller containers) and use it for the Fall juice run.

Latest posts

Back