RJ Spagnols Started My 5th Kit Today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
Started my 5th kit today. This now makes four RJS kits and one MM. This is my first repeat of a kit, RJSs VDV Pinot Grigio. This is what my wife asked that I remake. We had a family reunion last weekend and the Pinot Grigio was a big hit - along with some other wines. Guess between drinking and giving bottles away my wife's stash has gotten frighteningly low. :sh I calculated the price per bottle - just counting the kit price and corks - at about $3.00/.750L. My wife said she be happy to pay $8.00-$10.00 if it were store bought. The first kit did have one tweak which was the addition of wine conditioner just before bottling. I'd like to save a few bucks this second time around by using my own sweetening.

I use four ounces of simple syrup or four ounces of glycerin.

I use four ounces of simple syrup or four ounces of glycerin.

Simple syrup? Meaning don't mix anything but sugar and water?

Would that be oz. per gallon? I believe for the first batch the bottle contained 500ml of wine conditioner which is about 16 ounces or ~ 2 2/3 oz. per gallon for the 6 gallons of finished wine.

Thanks...

yes sugar and water. I actually use Torani cane syrup. 4 ounces per six gallons of wine. you should branch test first time out.

Started my 5th kit today. This now makes four RJS kits and one MM. This is my first repeat of a kit, RJSs VDV Pinot Grigio. This is what my wife asked that I remake. We had a family reunion last weekend and the Pinot Grigio was a big hit - along with some other wines. Guess between drinking and giving bottles away my wife's stash has gotten frighteningly low. :sh I calculated the price per bottle - just counting the kit price and corks - at about $3.00/.750L. My wife said she be happy to pay $8.00-$10.00 if it were store bought. The first kit did have one tweak which was the addition of wine conditioner just before bottling. I'd like to save a few bucks this second time around by using my own sweetening.
Do the calcs and test different levels. Really, really sweet wine is 5% residual sugar. I'm not a sweet wine guy, but I would test 2,3,4 and 5%. Find what you and your wife, (really just what your wife likes, life will be better that way). Do the testing in tiny batches like 50ml. You'll need a scale to measure the sugar though.

Latest posts

Back