With grape Skins??? With out??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
Im shopping for my first wine kit. Do you think the kits with the grape skins is a bit ambitious for my first batch?

Tess said:
Im shopping for my first wine kit. Do you think the kits with the grape skins is a bit ambitious for my first batch?

Not at all, if you're willing to pay for a premium kit with skins you will be well rewarded in the end!

Thank You. I think Im going with the Super Tuscan. I cant wait

It's not that I think a grape skin kit might be too ambitious, but that they require a lot more time to come around and be their best.

Do you want to wait a year or two to be drinking this wine?

Steve

Tess, you could not choose much better a kit than the Super Tuscan (I assume you are talking about the RJSpagnols Winery Series.) It takes some more attention and a little more time, but in the end you will be glad you did it. I have made this kit at least 4 times and it is one of the best out there. I recommend putting the grape skins in the bag provided and give it a good squeeze a couple times a day during the primary phase. (remember to sanitize your hands with k-meta before squeezing) Good luck.

A little more info would be helpful. Are you new to wine drinking as well as wine making? If so, I would start out with a white, probably off dry. If you already drink wine , know what you like and want a red wine, the kits with skins are generally much better than kits without skins, but, as mentioned, take longer to reach their peak. The Super Tuscan suggested is one of the best, even young, so would be a winner. Be advised, however, that this sets a very high bench mark for future kits!

Just follow the instructions exactly. At least the first time.

No Im am not new to wine drinking. I cut my teeth on the sweeter wines. I know prefer dry. My favorite is an Italian Brunello but at $50 a bottle I think I will learn how to make my own. As a matter of fact I found a Brunello with skins Im now thinking of trying first. Thanks Rocky I will remember the tips

It's not that I think a grape skin kit might be too ambitious, but that they require a lot more time to come around and be their best.

Do you want to wait a year or two to be drinking this wine?

Steve

Know I don't mind putting it up for a while. I think Id prefer my first batch made just for me and put away. Then I can play with some sweet for my family and quests

My wine kit (equipment) was mailed out today so I have some time to think about it. I just cant wait. I excited!!

Latest posts

Back