Cellar Craft One last question before filtering/bottling my White Zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
I REALLY want to get my CC blush zinfandel bottled tonight since I have been waiting to do it for the last 2 months. Can someone tell me what the "average" shelf life of a kit wine is once it has been bottled? I want my wines to be drinkable for at least 1-2 years and up. The last time I sulfites the carboy was a top up dose about 3 months ago. Should I add another 1/8 tsp before filtering/bottling? I made a mistake with my Riesling and added potassium metabisulfite AFTER filtering and wound of with some little pieces of it in my wine. I was lucky and DID get a Vinmetrica TA/pH/so2 tester for Christmas, but it seems like there is a big learning curve to use it correctly and don't know if I want to get into it tonight. So basically I am just wondering if I should be ok to just add a 1/8 tsp top up dose to my carboy then filter and bottle and how long should it be "good". Also are there any lengthy articles, links, or stickies on target numbers for free or bound so2 and how it correlates with pH. Thanks a LOT

I say wait until you figure out the vinmetrica. Easier said than done...

Well I watched a few video clips from Vinmetrica on YouTube but looks like I can't do anything tonight because I don't have deionized or distiller water. Sucks. I'll have to resort to racking my Red Mtn Cab off the oak and rack my blueberry as well :(

I think you would be alright just adding the little sulfite before bottling it. That will give it enough protection in the bottle for a couple years.

Also while distilled or deionized water is best, you could still get a pretty good reading with your regular or even bottled water.

I think I am going to buy some distilled water in the store today. The cheapest I can find deionized water is $35 for a gallon which is hard to swallow for something as stupid as rinsing electrodes. I emailed Vinmetrica but don't expect to hear from them until Monday I would say.

Back