Blackberry wine taking forever

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJMiller

Junior
Reaction score
I've got some blackberry wine in my primary fermenter and my instructions say to leave it in there for 4 to 5 days or until the specific gravity reads 1.040. It's been it for for 6 days and is at 1.068 and is going very slowly....about .010 per day. What should I do???????

First question your going to be asked is what is the temperature of the must.

I'm not sure. I'm new at this and don't have a thermometer yet. My house is kept at 70 thou if that helps any. I'm just wondering if I rack it now into secondary will it mess it up....

More experience needs to chime in here, but I would think your must still needs oxygen for the yeast at this point so I would not rack to a carboy yet.

CJ, I always watch my hydrometer and do not look at weeks, days or hours. There are so many factors that can affect fermentation time. I use the analogy of driving a car from Columbus to Pittsburgh. Some people will tell you it takes 3 1/2 hours but the truth is it is about 200 miles. Sometimes when I drive it, the weather is great, the semis are hauling a-- and I don't see the State Police in great numbers so I can make it in 3 hours flat. Other times, I run into traffic, construction, speed traps, etc. and it takes 4 hours. In either case it is the same distance, 200 miles. It is the same with wine. You need to get the SG from where you started to where you want to finish and that is a definable number. The time it takes to do this can vary greatly.

As long as your SG is moving and not stuck, you're fine. A slow fermentation may yeild more flavor also.

If you haven't added yeast nutrient, I would add some ASAP. Then stand back and watch the fermentation kick into high gear. Years and years ago I didn't use it and fermentation would run slowly for a couple weeks. Now I use it in every batch and fermentation always goes fast, maybe 5-7 days at the most. I remember the first time I ever used it and I was amazed at how fast and how much it was bubbling.

If you have it, give it a shot of yeast nutrient, then stir some oxygen into it, just as others have said. I wouldn't rack it now, wait til the s.g. is down to 1.020 or so. If you rack it now, I will almost put money on your next post is going to be "My wine has bubbled out the airlock allover the floor, maybe splashed the ceiling. " When you rack it, you usually introduce oxygen to it and That can make it reallly take off. I would set a thermometer next to the primary and see what the ambient temp. is. If it is in a cool spot in the house try and get it to 70 or a bit above. Otherwise, sit back, have a glass of wine, and wait for it to finish. I know, I know, you have to buy the wine for now, but wine takes its own sweet time. You just have to have some patience and wait for it to get done. Good luck with it, Arne.

Alright wow thanks so much for the help everyone. It is still going slow but I should be ready to rack to secondary by tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Lets see if we can help you newbies along a little better. First, get more carboys, you are going to like what you make. Next, make more, if you dont have more then you wont be patient and let your wine age properly before drinking it. Then, get a few more primary buckets to fill your new carboys. Go ahead and buy everything now, scales, extra bubblers and bungs, and an extra hydrometer - if you havent broken yours yet you will. Very important - make your wifes favorite wine, often, she will then let you buy more winemaking stuff. Until you get some experience dont store your new bottles of wine near any rugs or exercise equipment. Crackedcork

Back