Before Bottling / Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuster1

Reaction score
I'm at the point where I'm ready to bottle a Luna Mezza Red. My plan is to transfer the bulk wine back to the clean and sterilized fermentation container, clean the carboy and then transfer all back to the carboy. How long should I let the wine sit in the carboy before I bottle it? Ds

If the wine is nice and clear, you can bottle anytime. If you are racking off a bunch of sediment, I would probably let it sit in the clean carboy for at least another 2 weeks or so. Actually I would probably let it sit for at least another 2 months, but you should be able to tell if it is still dropping sediment in about 2 weeks. Arne.

Does it matter if its stored on the carboy or in the bottle I'm not planning on drinking it for a while

Does it matter if its stored on the carboy or in the bottle

That is opening up a big can of worms! Its always debateable, bulk age vs. bottle age. At any rate, once you bottle and the wine is still dropping a little sediment, it subtracts from the wine's appearance. If you bulk age and it drops a little sediment, just rack off of the sediment, no problem.

Mezza Luna Red is a WE Vintners Reserve value kit. This wine will not change much with age. My suggestion is to move it back into the carboy for two months, then bottle it. This will enable you to make certain the wine is clear before you bottle. Leave it in the bottle at least a month before drinking.

Tony P.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back