Fruit Flies - HELP!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Since yesterday I seem to be inundated with a small swarm of fruit flies. The irony is that they seem to be interested in a wine I just started which is based on cocoa nibs (no other fruit except for the sugar and acid blend).
Is there an effective way of getting rid of these pests? Is there an effective way to prevent them from arriving? I don't think I have ever had them descend on any of my ferments before. Is there anything I can do short of shutting up shop for a few weeks until they move on? Thanks

Take a solo cup - place about 4-5 oz of wine in it - cover with syran wrap - poke a 1 tiny hole in the center.

That will attract them and catch them - then just pitch when it gets full of flies.

Some people put a drop of dawn detergent in the wine as well..

One of the best ideas that I have seen (and it was on this forum) is to put a fan blowing over the top of the fermenter to blow them away from it. Without the wine, they will die in a day or two.

One year I had some issues with them. Be sides what was mentioned I found the quickest way to deal with them when it gets bad is with a shop vac. Just go in for the attack around the neck of all the carboys where they hang out. This will get rid of most of them real quick and use the other methods to keep the rest in check.

Another notch to add to the shop vac, we have used one to clear ground bees out to dig up the nest, just leave it run for a few days with tube end right at the ?hive? entrance when they are active and I would guess the vac vibration help get em all good and crazy too. No I didn't steal the idea from duck dynasty I promise.

Sorry I got nothing more for ya on the flies.

Latest posts

Back