Mosti Mondiale Houston, We Have A Problem!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
So yesterday we got ready to bottle the GranBarolo and another kit.

The GranBarolo is DOA. Something is wrong with this kit. I've gone back through the instructions and our notes. I can find nothing wrong, no step missed. The SG has gone from 1.088 down to .992 yet you can't taste any alcohol. It's just flat, and sour.

I'm emailing George separately on this, but thought I'd post it here to see if anyone has any guesses as to what might have happened here....???

smiley19.gif

smiley19.gif

My guess is there is nothing wrong with it. The sourness of it is just keeping you from tasting the alcohol. If it moved from 1.088 to 0.992 you certainly have alcohol. This one will need about a year in the bottle and the sourness will mellow out and the flavors open up. It will continue to improve for a couple years more. Did it have any oak in it?

Yup, agree. It will take a while. Barolo and Amarone taste very bitter to me when ready to bottle. I plan on three years minimum age when I make these.

Yep all above are right. This will need aging. Borollo, Amarone and Brunello need aging. I would rack it one more time and age it in the carboy.

ah geeze.........I just tasted it again, and it tastes more like wine this morning.

Note to self: don't make taste decisions on dark red wines after consuming large quantities of icewine......
smiley9.gif

Thats good, its amazing how tasting something way different can influence what you taste afterwards. That is why their is wine and food pairings as most stuff will make a wine or food taste even better! glad all is good in Barolo land!

Trashy,
Ice wine palate cleanser! That's a new one!
smiley36.gif
We started that kit on October of 07 and have been a bit disappointed to date. It is certainly wine but we had hopes it would be bigger than it is. Our SG range was 1.092 to .995. We still have a couple of cases left so will let them waitat least till fall.

Back