*HELP* - Wine Flowers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcquade

Reaction score
It's about time to rack my fresh-juice Riesling so I went into our wine room to check it out. There is a small film at the top that I later determined to be Mycoderma (Flowers of Wine).
The wine doesn't smell bad yet, so I'm going to try to save it. I was thinking about racking it, throwing in some K-Meta, and then running down to talk to George tomorrow to see about getting some inert gas in there to keep it from coming back.

Any thoughts or advice? I really don't want to pour this one down the drain.

DJ

If you have a similar wine the best bet is to add some wine very gently to overflow the flowers out and then rack into new vessel with k-meta. This is usually a sign of improper sanitary conditions, to much head space, or not enough SO2 in your wine. When bilk aging make sure you are properly sulfited.

Yup, Wade's right. You have to overflow it to sort of "clean" the mycoderma away, then hit it with sulphite to prevent further infection.

So here's the problem. Some of that gunk has settled to the bottom of the carboy. I'm thinking that racking it might be the best way to get rid of it. Then hit it with the sulphite. Sound like a good plan?
Also, I don't quite know how this happened. I'm a freak about sterilization. I noticed that my PH is around 4.0 ... so that might have caused it.

Thanks guys!

I would overflow it,filter and add k-meta. I had a similar problem with a mango apple. It cleared up a treat.

So, here's another problem. I can't overflow it without moving it because of where it is. Should I move it and let it settle or should I just filter it? I don't mean to be difficult, but my wine room is also my living room with carpet. :(

We have run into this with some of the fresh juices that were returned to us by FedEx. Joseph has figured out how to get rid of the mycoderma. Please call me tomorrow and I will explain what to do.

For the rest of you, if you run into this, rack, filter and dose with 1/2 teaspoon of K-meta. You should see the wines that Joseph fixed. Pardon me for not taking before and after photos.
smiley7.gif

By the way, we do know what caused this with the fresh juices and how to keep it from happening in the future. The instructions about the malo were not clear. If you did NOT want to malo, you should have added sulphites. That was not adequately explained in the instructions. With the next fresh juice kits, we are preparing much better instructions. Live and learn.
smiley19.gif
Edited by: geocorn

George,

Thanks! I'll give you a holler in the morning.

Thanks for the help everyone! :D

DJ

Latest posts

Back