WineXpert 1st batch tastings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-Mike

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

By all the posts I've already read, I'm sure this forum should provide plenty of support for a newbie like me. I started my first batch(Selections-Cab. Sauv. Premium Series) a couple weeks ago. It's in the secondary right now and the fermantation seems to be over. I'm going to wait until week 3 to fine/clarify.

My question is: can anyone give me some idea of what "normal" would be right now for tasting? I know it's early, but I tasted it after 2 weeks. Ithad a chemical smell and a bit gassy. Tasted very full bodied with just a hint of sweetness.

Afterfollowing this forum for a while, I'm fully aware that I shouldn't read too much into what it tastes like at this point, but just wondered if someone could offer up any comments.I'm sure many of you have tatsed your wines in the various stages.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll be writing again.

First- Welcome to the forum Mike
smiley32.gif

It's normal for wine to have smells and off tastes while being made. It will be gassy at this point as you probably haven't degassed at this early stage. Have patience and you will be rewarded with plenty of fun and good wine.

Welcome Mike,

The first kit is the toughest since you want it ready yesterday...relax and patience is the toughest part of wine making!

Welcome Mike and as the others said patience is needed. What you are
experiencing is the S02(sulfites) in the wine making theyre way out. I
know its hard but try to let each batch bulk age in the carboy for
awhile before aging in the bottle as well. This will let each bottle
taste more like the next. These wines say that you can drink early but
will greatly benefit from time.

Welcome to the forum Mike. I think others have said all that needs to be said with regard to the smell. Because you haven't fined (cleared) yet. there are also possible some solids in the test that won't be there in the finished product.

Welcome Mike
Sounds like your wine is on track....as appleman and Masta said all you need is a little patience and you will have a very fine wine there...good luck and have fun.

Welcome Mike

It is good that you are tasting your wines as you go. The experience from this will be invaluable in your wine making.

Mike, I myself am coming up on a year in this hobby. My first batch was like everyone elses, I wanted it now!! After bottling I sampled a bottle every two weeks. For my first batch, that showed me the difference a month or two makes and kept my whistle wet. I might suggest sampling a bottle or two of this batch when you get it bottled. Then, make another kit that is immediatley drinkable. Island Mist. That will continue your learning and will keep you out of the good stuff for a little while.

I met a couple at a Wine Expert seminar last week that totally broke the code on always having enough to age. He makes the Wine expert kits five and six a time and now has over 3000 bottles in his cellar(warehouse?) I guess can't get too deep into his stock. Must be nice to have that kind of coin to drop on kits. I think I saw Dave(my local shop owner) eyeballing a big boat fornext summer.
smiley1.gif

Mike, what kind of wine do you like as the Island mists are sweet. I
like them but then again I like sweet wines as I do others. They are
ready fast as redder said but not everyone can appreciate them. Ive
heard the wildberry shiraz is good and know that the blackberry
cabernet is good as I have done this one. I liked the Exotic fruit
white zin also but not everyone will like that one. Good luck with this
great new hobby and be prepared to have to buy more supplies such as
carboys. It is a very addictive hobby.

Green wine, young wine, Should taste a bit dirty or yeasty with a rough finish or bit to it. The texture of the wine should be on the light side but if you have a heavy one you are ahead of most.

Not much I can add that hasn't been said. Just wanted to say welcome aboard. You'll get used to the smells and tastes of young wines sooner than you think.

Smurfe

MN-Mike, welcome. This forum is a necessity for newbie wine makers like us. I had about the same questions you did after I was finishing up my first kit a year a go. I was getting ready to bottle a Merlot and tasted a glass. Not good. Very thin and alcohol tasting. I posted my concerns on this forum and was assured that time was a wines best friend. I started drinking some of my wine after 6 months in the bottle and man what a difference. It will get you fired up all over again.

Good Luck.

Back